• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Desk Top Dock Home Made All Aluminum

CM67

Apr 2, 2010
South Western, Pennsylvania
Entirely made from aluminum and used Automotive grade Flocking and automotive Flocking adhesive inside the channel so phone would not get scratched, all screwed together and screws are countersunk flush.

Here it is before painting or flocking
100_7751.jpg

100_7752.jpg

100_7777.jpg

Another model before painting

100_7764.jpg

100_7761.jpg

100_7767.jpg

Painted with black flocking inside channels

100_7810.jpg

100_7812.jpg

100_7780.jpg

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad127/seamuse67/Craidle/100_7767.jpg

I love that landscape one, now about that truck issue....hahaha jk

I know it wouldn't be as easy, but I wonder if there's a way to make it so the charger sits in there flush, and you basically lower the phone onto it and it plugs in automatically?

I know it would require a lot more work, but that would be a pretty cool feature to have.

Upvote 0

I know it wouldn't be as easy, but I wonder if there's a way to make it so the charger sits in there flush, and you basically lower the phone onto it and it plugs in automatically?

I know it would require a lot more work, but that would be a pretty cool feature to have.

Nothing a little JB Weld couldn't fix I bet.

Upvote 0

I agree this would be a cool feature, but only if you had an extra charger laying around. Good chance doing something like that will make the charger useless for conventional purposes (I'm assuming it would have to be permanently attached) - not to mention any error could cause the charger to be useless altogether.

Still...

Upvote 0

Ya know I did think of that, but that micro usb is such a bear to get in when you have it loose I really didn't bother because of that.

Then thought I really move my cradle around and didn't think I would want to have to use the cord all the time.

But yeah I did think of it, keep the idea's coming thats why I put up the pic's ... these docks have takin quite a while to make, I tried many things over the past couple of weeks.

My thoughts are make it simple and uncluttered, I like things really clean and untechnical .. docks that is, not the phone itself.

I see alot of docks that are pretty much all plastic but I thought hey make one, it will be a huge pain and alot of mistakes and cash lol... I got about a box of aluminum thats cut up and junk, bad designs etc. etc. etc. lol

These were what I thought good enough to stop until I think of something really, really different than what I have already made

Upvote 0
You're going to hate me, but lets test your skills.

Same base, same holster (side one, with a longer arm underneath) but instead of 2 posts attaching the base to the actual holster, one with a swivel, so you can have it vertical, THEN turn it horizontally. Obviously the bottom would have to be longer to hold it in vertically, and maybe a hinged side so that you can slide it in and close it up (although if it's really snug you shouldn't need that).

That would be amazing since the home screens don't adjust horizontally, you could simple turn it to the side when you're going to bed, and vertically if you are using it or poking around (with the phone, not in bed ;) ).

Upvote 0
You're going to hate me, but lets test your skills.

Same base, same holster (side one, with a longer arm underneath) but instead of 2 posts attaching the base to the actual holster, one with a swivel, so you can have it vertical, THEN turn it horizontally. Obviously the bottom would have to be longer to hold it in vertically, and maybe a hinged side so that you can slide it in and close it up (although if it's really snug you shouldn't need that).

That would be amazing since the home screens don't adjust horizontally, you could simple turn it to the side when you're going to bed, and vertically if you are using it or poking around (with the phone, not in bed ;) ).

Lol thanks I think, now you just caused me more work lol.

Now I have just thought of another way to make one, I would just use one wider round or square but center it instead of the two small rounds ones under it, I will make it come up from behind it (would have to be much longer than the round ones I have now since with will have a swivel back ... with one of those black headed screw knobs, you could just loosen it and then turn it where you like and then tighten ... now I got to find some of those plastic headed knobs, lol cripes!

Probably hard to envision what I am saying but I have it in my head now and will give it a try, just purely to see if I can do it lol

Upvote 0
Lol thanks I think, now you just caused me more work lol.

Now I have just thought of another way to make one, I would just use one wider round or square but center it instead of the two small rounds ones under it, I will make it come up from behind it (would have to be much longer than the round ones I have now since with will have a swivel back ... with one of those black headed screw knobs, you could just loosen it and then turn it where you like and then tighten ... now I got to find some of those plastic headed knobs, lol cripes!

Probably hard to envision what I am saying but I have it in my head now and will give it a try, just purely to see if I can do it lol

I totally see what you're saying, rather than having a hinged joint at the bottom, have a swivel calendar of some sort in the back, so that nothing's attached to the sides at all. That shouldn't be too hard to do.

I don't know what this would be, but in my head it works. Find something that looks like an "I" but separates in the middle to essentially make 2 separate "T"'s, attach the two plates to each T (cut to a smaller size than the bulged end) then use a pin or a screw to fasten the two "T"'s into an "I", thus effectively securing both sides, but allowing full swivel capability around the floating "I". All you need are a couple of notches to lock into vertical and horizontal positions, and you're good to go.

PS, the "base" side would have to fasten to the floating I, so that it wouldn't actually be floating, the only floating part would be the actual phone holster, the I itself would stay in place. That way, with the notches on the I, the holster would latch in properly and stay at the perfect angle for the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones