• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Desktop chargers

JakeUK

Lurker
Jan 19, 2016
Has anybody found any decent desktop charging docks yet?

All I can find is the Kidigi one, which seems to have a hard wired USB lead connected (so not a lot of use as it won't take advantage of the fast charging ability). There's also a no frills black plastic one on Amazon that seems to have fairly poor reviews.

I'm surprised that there doesn't seem to be anything that looks reliable and will allow the stock Google mains charging lead to plug into it.

Hi @JakeUK and welcome to Android Forums :)

I get the impression that with this year's Nexus offerings, Google was trying to emphasize the convenience of quick-charging via USB-C to break the idea that your phone would always need to be tethered to a charger. I'm guessing that's why we don't have any official desktop charger docks like we saw with previous Nexus devices (the wireless charging orb for the N4, stands for the Galaxy Nexus and others, etc).

It's a bit of an adjustment, but I really think I'm okay with it. My Nexus 6P is easily able to get me through the day without any worry for battery life, and it only takes a few moments to bump-charge it if I do find myself running low.

That said, I know it's no help for the situation where you just want your phone to be propped up in a nice cradle at your office desk. :(

Upvote 0
Yes I gave in and ordered the Kidigi one. I've used their stuff before and it's usually pretty reliable. I guess I can plug it into the official Google mains adaptor. Since I spend most of my time at my desk (I work from home) it isn't going to be the end of the world if I have to wait a little longer for a full charge. It's a shame that none of the other "straight through" charging docks look particularly well made. It surely can't be that difficult to come up with an innovative good looking dock with a female USB-C socket on the back so that you can plug the Google cable in it. There are a few on eBay and on Amazon, but they look like they've been designed by Lego.

If anybody's interested I bought a Nomad Road Trip (car charger and back up battery), which seems to be working well. Not cheap but it'll give you 3000mAh whilst charging itself for backup whilst out and about. I can even charge my wife's iPhone at the same time as it has an extra USB socket on it.

Between them they ought to cover pretty much every eventuality. But then I've always got everything running. Bluetooth, wifi, animated wallpaper, etc.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
I was planning on using it with the Google mains adaptor anyway, which ought to speed things up a little. How do you get along plugging it into your PC? In the past that's always brought up all sorts of incompatibility messages for me. "USB device not recognized", that sort of thing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones