• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Desperate for help

hibble

Lurker
Sep 25, 2012
Hi, I had a HTC desire that i bought a while back. all worked great and I was happy.

then it was lent to some1, they put Cyanogen Mod 7 on it.
Now i have it back, i Cannot stand it.
Never messed about with phones, I really really need a step by step guide on how to go back to the normal android.

Things that may help:
I have no SD card
baseband version 32.56.00.32U_5.17.05.23
Kernel: 2.6.37.6-cyanogenmod-geb50077 android@portatile #1
Mod: Cyanogenmod-7.1.0-desire

As far as I know there is no trace of the previous adnnroid on the memory.

I'm guessing that hibble has a SIM card, because that's the most recent GSM radio firmware.

So the person you lent the phone to changed the ROM (did they preserve your apps and data?), and now you have no SD card (which will make backing up harder).

Anyway, what you can do is either flash another more familiar ROM (i.e. one using HTC Sense), or unroot the phone and set it back to stock firmware. I'm guessing you want the second, but if the first is fine let us know and we'll suggest some ROMs - an SD card would help a lot though.

If you just want to unroot then you need to tell us what network branding (if any) the phone had. That will determine which software update package we need to use to do this. This process will wipe all user apps and data in the process, so you'll probably want to do some backing up first.

An no, there will be no trace of the previous software - these phones do not have spare storage to keep something like that. But don't worry, what you want is doable, we just need a bit more information.

Upvote 0
Do they modify the software in any way (even stuff like a C&W splash screen when you turn it on)? If not then a generic WWE (World Wide English) ROM Update Utility should work (if it is, we might try it anyway 'cos there's no way we'll find a C&W one! :)).

So if you want to return to stock, unrooted software I'd suggest either trying the most recent Froyo from shipped ROMs:

RUU_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.29.405.5_Radio_32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27_release_159811_signed.exe

or the offical android 2.3 upgrade:

HTC_Desire_Android_2.3_Upgrade.zip

The RUU is a windows exe, so to use it you download to a PC, boot the phone into fastboot mode (boot while holding the "back" button down), connect via usb and run the ruu .exe. The upgrade package has the RUU inside the zip, together with a few other things.

Remember that this process will erase all user apps and data.

If you want to try a rooted version of the stock ROM instead of unrooting then you'll need an sd card in the phone. Then we can tell you how to do that instead.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones