1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Desrire HD Data Usage

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by shaundesirehd, Feb 10, 2011.

1. shaundesirehd

shaundesirehd Lurker

hey guys, firstly great forum here, seems like all the pro's hang out here, because I seldom see a issue left unresolved.

I have received my Desire HD about a week ago and would like to find out something, i am not on a unlimited data plan and i would like to know if with the contribution of the forum subscribers here, if we could get some sort of a list of stock applications that uses the data connection and if they are able to be switched off.

The reason being for this is that, like stated, im not on a unlimited data plan, but i would still like to leave the always on internet connection on and syncing on aswell, but would love to switch of somethings that i would really not use.

Thanks in advance for the help

Applications that use data connection

Service /Application - HTC Sense Account
    Found in - Settings - Accounts & Sync
    Current Status - Update when opened - unticked / Update Schedule - Manual

Service /Application - News
    Current Status - Update when opened - unticked / Update Schedule - Manual

Service /Application - Stocks
    Current Status - Update when opened - unticked / Update Schedule - Every 4 hours
    Stocks cant be set to manual update?

Service /Application - Weather
    Current Status - Update Schedule - Once a day

Service /Application - Background Data
    Current Status - Enabled
    Does this actually connect to the internet ? because some applications does not like when its disabled (i.e market)

Service /Application - Auto-sync
    Current Status - Disabled
    Even though this is disabled, my phone still connects to the net, is this not suppose to stop it?

Service /Application - Location
    Found in - Settings -
    Current Status -
    I suspect that this also connects to the net to download info, cant seem to find the settings to confirm or disable it

OK, so with all that set, my phone still connects to the net to transfer data, like i mentioned before, i know i can turn off the internet connection, but i dont mind that its connecting to the internet, i would just like to know or the sake of knowing, what app/setting is connecting to net and transferring data

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Gardium

Gardium Well-Known Member

In terms of stock apps, there are really few that use a data communcation link constantly (honestly can't think of one right now, but just being sure when saying really few), without you either a) forcing a refresh b) set up a active sync (and I'm guessing as you stated, that you have yourself administrated this).

As for the "always-on-connection" option under mobile networks, I'd recommend you turn that off. On some networks it can be power consuming, and it will add to your data usage. However, deactivating this does not stop the DHD from connecting to the internet quickly and efficiently, and active syncs still work.

Basically, all that option does, is that if the phone is not doing anything on the internet, the phone will ping the internet instead of shutting down the connection. So deactivating this does so the DHD cuts the connection if nothing happens for a period of time. When reconnecting, it takes a fraction of a second more than if you had the option enabled.

loulou likes this.
  3. shaundesirehd

shaundesirehd Lurker

ok, i understand that there is not alot of applications that uses data, but can i still get a contribution as to which ones do use ?

i have edited my first post to include the ones i know off.

and thanks for explaining the "always on internet connection", switched that off now

4. springy

springy Android Enthusiast

If you want to monitor your data usage as well, use 3g Watchdog from the market. You can also disable 3g automatically when you hit your allowance as well.

5. shaundesirehd

shaundesirehd Lurker

I have seen 3g watchdog, will install and play around with it, but im actually looking for user input to assist in applications that connect to the internet.

6. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

As I have Unlimited Internet with GiffGaff, I thought keeping the mobile internet always on would be fine (every other option is off, and brightness is way down)..but my battery still gets drained super-quickly.

Trying your tip..!

HTC Desire HD Forum

The HTC Desire HD release date was October 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1230mAh battery.

October 2010
Release Date
Reviews