1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Detailed instructions for noob to use UOT kicthen

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by narutoninjakid, Jan 6, 2012.

1. narutoninjakid

narutoninjakid Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 18, 2011
    Male
    Student
    NJ
    i want to update to gingerstreem extreme but i don't like the theme that much i prefer a stockish look. can anyone give some quick detailed instructions on how to use the kicthen to do this, or make edits myself. Thanks

P.S ive never used it before!

also if cm7 is coming out in a few weeks for this phone i can wait :) any comments are appreciated. also im not asking for ETA on cm7, i know it takes some hard work for developers. Thanks to all developers who made all this possible on Esteem. :)

Advertisement

2. ShinySide

ShinySide Android Expert
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    Palm Bay, Florida
    UOT is simple. Just go to UOT Kitchen Click "Kitchen" at the top. Then click "Battery" then check the box next to "Use this mod" then choose what icon you want and choose the colors. On the right hand side youll see "Generate Preview" so you can see what that mod and colors are going to look like. Do those steps for each of the mods,Battery Icons, Status bar, Popup, Lockscreen, Window, Fonts, and Bootanimation (You can always add a custom boot animation on you phone) or you can skip which ever mods you dont want to use. Then once you make it to the "Upload" tab under the "Select flashable zip scriptin" section change "MTD" to "EMMC" in the little drop down menu next to "update-binary". Then on the right hand side under "Select your rom from kitchen's list, or upload your own files" select " Upload system files" then you want to upload your framework-res.apk which is the first option. You can find the framework-res.apk in your system>framework folder on your phone. Then you want to upload your SystemUI which is the second option which can be found in system>apps on your phone. Just copy both and transfer them to your computer so you can upload them to the kitchen. Then once they are done uploading Click the tab at the top that says "Summary" and down at the bottom click "Submit to Kitchen". When you do that they will give you a pick up number. Your pick up number will look something like this "UOT-12-31-23-58-1" then they ask you if you want to go to the "Pick up" click it and once you get to the pick up spot click "Show all pickup files" and youll probably have to scroll and look for it, but look for your pick up number and once it loads it and you find it click "Download"

3. Jeyd02

Jeyd02 Android Expert
    None

Nov 26, 2011
    To help people, currently student
    US
    WOAH. nice one. not to judge or anything but i think separating that instruction into step will make it easier to people to understand, psychologically (don't you think)

mikekelso421 likes this.
  4. ShinySide

ShinySide Android Expert
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    Palm Bay, Florida
    Im on my phone :D No one answered so thought I would atleast give him a quick run of it. Ill make a guide later with screen shots maybe. ;)

mikekelso421 likes this.
  5. Jeyd02

Jeyd02 Android Expert
    None

Nov 26, 2011
    US
    lol, kool. i love posting with my phone also. are you using swype or normal keyboard?

6. ShinySide

ShinySide Android Expert
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    Palm Bay, Florida
    Swype but I dont swype. I suck at it and hate it. Ahaha I just tap like a normal keyboard.

gbiggie and starstress like this.
  7. Jeyd02

Jeyd02 Android Expert
    None

Nov 26, 2011
    US
    ahhh. come on, swyping is fun, if you get used to it.!:cool:

8. starstress

starstress Android Enthusiast
    None

Yeah swype blows

gbiggie and mikekelso421 like this.
  9. maddscientist8

None

May 22, 2011
    FT Geek
    Kissimmee, FL
    Thanks for the quick guide Shiny man!

I concur. If your phone is at least 4.3 inches then you should be able to use the keyboard like a normal human with a brain and motor skills lol. ;)

10. jhedflores

jhedflores Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 10, 2011
    medical assistant
    los angeles ca
    Anyone accomplished making a custom theme with uot kitchen?

11. ARocker

ARocker Android Expert
    None

Aug 17, 2011
    Male
    Jersey City, NJ
    Only a partial theme. It doesn't seem to theme everything. I still can't get anything on the notification pull down to change.

12. revogozoom

revogozoom Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 27, 2010
    Texas
    Same here although I stopped using it when Gingerfusion was available, I really like that theme.

13. twistedriku

twistedriku Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 5, 2011

I did somewhat, got the animated background going and the pop-up and etc, but I can't get the kitchen to write a file with custom statusbar icons nor overwrite the gingerfusion theme on gingersteem extreme.

14. revogozoom

revogozoom Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 27, 2010
    Texas
    Rom toolbox does a pretty good job changing things, give it a try.

15. twistedriku

twistedriku Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 5, 2011

I did. But I don't like the low variety of choices... I'm trying to find a way to edit and customize it without having to decompile the files and manually edit each png( which it seems like I will have to do) and then recompile it and add any other fancy tweaks I want then make it a flashable file and give it to the community.

16. cheluz245

cheluz245 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    Ninja
    Los Angeles
    **Went ahead and cooked a theme, installed it, did not change Notification icons and a few things i wanted to change. =[**

Just to clarify a few things for me.

What won't it theme?
    After downloading the cooked product place on root of SD, flash from CWM?
    Creat backup?
    What to Wipe and when to wipe?

All answers appreciated. Thanks. :)

17. jvillejoe

jvillejoe Android Enthusiast
    None

Here is the video from youtube in case you didn't see.

UOT Theme Kitchen Tutorial - A Noobs Guide

UOT Theme Kitchen Tutorial - A Noobs Guide - YouTube!

18. LotsaBS

LotsaBS Newbie
    None

Apr 10, 2011
    Central US
    I have a few questions about UOT Kitchen. My Evo 4g is rooted with the 4.54.651.1 OTA rom installed (note that I have the original odexed HTC/Sprint OTA rom installed, not a de-odexed version). Since I am using the OTA rom, I am on Sense 1.0

I am hoping that I can use UOT Kitchen to change only the notification (status) bar pulldown to include "quick settings" as found in later versions of Sense. BTW I have already successfully created a UOT file including only that mod, but I have NOT yet tried to install it.

Will this work at all?

If it will, when I install the UOT file from recovery, will doing so delete all of my apps and settings etc. (like when installing a new ROM) or will it simply install the new notification-status bar over my existing installation?

19. PlayfulGod

PlayfulGod Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    Male
    Web Design and Hosting/PC Repair
    NW Georgia
    I revised Shinyside's guide so its easier to read. ;)

UOT is simple:

Just go to UOT Kitchen

Click "Kitchen" at the top.

Then click "Battery" then check the box next to "Use this mod" then choose what icon you want and choose the colors.

On the right hand side youll see "Generate Preview" so you can see what that mod and colors are going to look like.

Do those steps for each of the mods:
    • Battery Icons,
    • Status bar,
    • Popup,
    • Lockscreen,
    • Window,
    • Fonts
    • Bootanimation (You can always add a custom boot animation on you phone) or you can skip which ever mods you dont want to use.

Then once you make it to the "Upload" tab under the "Select flashable zip scripting" section:

Change "MTD" to "EMMC" in the little drop down menu next to "update-binary".

Then on the right hand side under "Select your rom from kitchen's list, or upload your own files" select " Upload system files" then you want to upload your framework-res.apk which is the first option. You can find the framework-res.apk in your system>framework folder on your phone.

Then you want to upload your SystemUI which is the second option which can be found in system>apps on your phone.

Just copy both and transfer them to your computer so you can upload them to the kitchen.

Then once they are done uploading Click the tab at the top that says "Summary" and down at the bottom click "Submit to Kitchen".

When you do that they will give you a pick up number. Your pick up number will look something like this "UOT-12-31-23-58-1".

Then they ask you if you want to go to the "Pick up" click it and once you get to the pick up spot click "Show all pickup files" and youll probably have to scroll and look for it, but look for your pick up number and once it loads it and you find it click "Download"

gbiggie and TattooedDroid like this.
Tags: