• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [DEV] ClockworkMod Recovery and CyanogenMod 7.1 on the Samsung Admire

I try to follow unforgiven512 on twitter and his other page. I know he has family problems with a sick daughter but have heard nothing from him on this site or on twitter or his page. About are admire in about a month. He ask us to keep donating but we have not heard from him about the phone or his family. I hope every thing is well. If you read this unforgiven512 please take 5 min. to drop us a line.There are lot of people that would like to hear from you and about the well being of your daughter. MERRY XMAS.

Reactions: marixxaa
Upvote 0
my thoughts and prayers to you, your fiance, and especially your daughter. i'm not married, but i pretty much have step children. i worry about them all the time. i don't know what i would do without them. here's to a speedy recovery and happy times with your family :)

It's nice to see someone who can see what the big picture is here. My wife just gave birth to a HEALTHY 7lbs 7oz 19.5in baby boy. My 2nd boy, and 3rd child on the 14th of December, and I have to be honest, I am lucky my newborn is healthy and even i would not be prioritizing my life around an Android phone right now.

I am working double shifts during the day to keep us afloat while my wife is on unpaid maternity leave and then coming home and taking over full duty of all 3 of our kids including getting up every 3 hours with my newborn so my wife can rest and heal mentally as well as physically.

It's draining and exhausting but family is always what matters first.

I have not been on in awhile and have not read any update on how the baby is but I can say again, patience and understanding of this one man's situation is going to get you all much further in the long run than demanding and pressuring him through hard times.

That is like my 3rd, but will be my last "lecture" on the matter, assuming we are all human I don't see the need for pressuring and desensatised comments in this thread or any other thread he may be part of. It'll either happen with this phone or it won't, all that matters right now is they get that baby healthy, and he keep his fiancee mentally stable and hopeful through this hardship.

Upvote 0
Here is our conversation from google+

Doug Caruso Sr - Hows the Family? Better I hope
Dec 12, 2011 - Edit

Unforgiven512 - We're doing pretty well. The baby is doing better, but still having some issues with gas and acid reflux.

I've been working on the admire a bit, as well. Having some trouble getting a binary built correctly; cross compiling is a pain. And busybox can't handle formatting correctly for RFS.

Aside from that, I've been doing work with ICS on the Nook Color. I'm becoming more familiar with the inner workings of ICS -- it's quite different from GB.

Dec 12, 2011

Doug Caruso Sr - Tell momma no spicy food if she is breast feeding.She can pass it to the kid also caffeine. Also thanks for the update on the admire. You might want to drop a note on the forum give folks an update. We will keep you all in our prayers and Have a blessed Christmas,
Doug
===============================================
So that is the last I heard
I put his dev name in place of real name,
Doug

Upvote 0
Checked his site today and saw he updated with news that the ClockworkMod is almost at 100% save some fine tuning, and he is still making progress with the CyangenMod. Really looking forward to the CWM being finished. I have a few roms I would like to test.

As far as the debate goes on specs, I have had far better phones than the Admire, my iPhone 4 comes to mind right away, and I have had far worse phones. If you think your 800m Samsung is slow, you should try living with a Sanyo Zio. That thing is easily the worst device ever to run Android. If you can call it running. I consider it akin to how a mentally ******ed child would cope in a AP Honors Calculus class. It does the work, but there is alot to be desired.

I like the Admire personally, its not the best nor the brightest, but I chose it over the HTC on the processor specs and the gorilla glass screen. I dont need a 5mp camera when the chip can barely cope with my work load. Hell, my friends HTC Incredible can barely keep up with my usage. Oh well...

Upvote 0
Hello everyone,

I am currently working on porting ClockworkMod recovery as well as CyanogenMod to the Samsung Admire.

I pretty much have ClockworkMod fully working -- I only have a few minor bugs to work out. You can check out a preview of it here: unforgivendevelopment.com/2011/11Se/06/update-samsung-admire-progress/

I am also working on CyanogenMod for the Admire, however, progress here is a little slower.
Currently working:
- Bluetooth
- 3D Acceleration
- WiFi (for the most part, small bugs remain)
- Accelerometer
- Proximity Sensor
- Sound
- Perhaps some things I forgot

Possibly working:
- Radio interface layer (The cell phone "sees" the Metro PCS network. Signal levels are reported incorrectly. I do not have Metro PCS service to test further.)

Not working:
- GPS
- Camera
- Battery indicator
- Light sensor (auto-brightness)
- Other things I may have forgotten

I will be releasing a teaser video of CyanogenMod running on the device within the next few days. You can follow progress at my website, unforgivendevelopment.com , @unforgivendev and/or @unforgiven512 on Twitter

Any donations help. This is not my full time job. I have a wife and a kid to feed.

Regarding this: First and foremost, I can not afford to activate a month of Metro PCS service to ensure calling, SMS/MMS, and data work. This will take approximately $50 to do. Secondly, I work full time (but I do have a flexible schedule). For every $10 donated, I will dedicate 1 uninterrupted hour of work on this project, and nothing other than this project. I need to ensure my family has food on the table and a roof over their heads.

Without donations, this project may take some time. If I receive donations, and I am paid to do the work, I can dedicate my time to the project, and it will get done significantly faster.

If you would be so kind to donate, please send it via PayPal to gerad.munsch@gmail.com -- I appreciate each and every penny. And remember, donations == dedicated Admire-only development time.

Thanks everyone, and keep an eye on the site for updates!

NOTE: This is my first post on this forum. If you'd like to check into some of my past work, feel free to check out my profile over at XDA-Developers (where they, unfortunately, do not have an Admire forum. So I think I'm going to make this my home for Admire development)

Do u need help with the development

Upvote 0
First off, I want to say that I hope that Unforgiven's daughter is doing better and that he is enjoying being a new father. I appreciate all that he has done to enable development on the admire.

Now, I will mention that MysteryEmotionz and rjmjr69 have gotten a stock recovery image to koush . Hopefully he will be able to find time in his busy schedule to port CWM to the admire so that the custom roms can start. I know that Unforgiven has put a lot of time into this already, so maybe he can communicate with koush and let him know what problems and fixes he has already encountered.

I am with all of you looking forward to this. Have a good weekend all.

Reactions: flakito97
Upvote 0
First off, I want to say that I hope that Unforgiven's daughter is doing better and that he is enjoying being a new father. I appreciate all that he has done to enable development on the admire.

Now, I will mention that MysteryEmotionz and rjmjr69 have gotten a stock recovery image to koush . Hopefully he will be able to find time in his busy schedule to port CWM to the admire so that the custom roms can start. I know that Unforgiven has put a lot of time into this already, so maybe he can communicate with koush and let him know what problems and fixes he has already encountered.

I am with all of you looking forward to this. Have a good weekend all.

That is good news thanks for the info. Do they have a thread or website that their info will be posted to? or will they post here when an update is available?
Doug

Upvote 0
That is good news thanks for the info. Do they have a thread or website that their info will be posted to? or will they post here when an update is available?
Doug

Hey Doug,

So far, all I have been able to find is their twitter feeds. I am sure that once it is ready, they will make it easy to find. As soon as I see something, I will post the info on this thread. I have to thank rangerrob for pointing me in that direction from this post:
http://androidforums.com/samsung-admire/478347-custom-rom.html#post3793316
I knew that I had been primarily watching this thread, so after I looked into it, I tried to post the information here for convenience sake.

And @glenweitzel

I do not know if that would work or not. I was under the assumption that the kernel was not so accessible or it would have been done by now, but I really do not know. If I can find some time, I will look into trying it: while I do not have a lot of knowledge or experience, I have even less fear! ;-)

Reactions: kb0sdq
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones