1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[DEV] Custom Anything

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rbheromax, Jul 7, 2013.

1. rbheromax

rbheromax Android Expert

*********Development Thread**********

So basically reading around, I stumbled upon a nifty little tool called Kexec. It basically loads a new kernel and initramfs into memory and boots that, sort of like a reboot, except it doesn't go back to the bootloader for security checks. I am in the process of building a module from the Src Kyocera has on their website here: Kyocera - Developer Info - Get info on the Kyocera's Android enabled smartphones

The compiled module will have to be insmod'd before any other kernel can be booted. I guess a companion app can be made for those who aren't very comfortable with command line.

But a cool thing here, is that CWM or TWRP is just a kernel and ramdisk paired together into a .img file. If decompiled, kexec can boot these, thus giving us a nice little recovery for our devices. Other possibilities include, booting CM from /data (a slim rom to save space, then have ramdisk mount /sdcard/data/ as regular data partition for apps, then /sdcard/ as itself, or booting a ROM from an sdcard.

But I can't do this alone. I need help on this. Even more, I own a Kyocera Hydro but have been in talks with a few Rise users. Our devices are pretty much the same hardware wise. So if I get this module built for either side, the other can use it. Same with recovery (maybe just a few mounts have to be changed in fstab?).

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Good luck conquest wise and just let you all know I have no pc only current phone which I dev on the phone itself.I'm just that bad ass simultaneously interesting to see how this project goes.Will give input though given I over 10 years of actual ex and been modding phones way before android even came fruition

3. naked_ferret

naked_ferret Lurker

4. rbheromax

rbheromax Android Expert

I know how to build modules and how most of this stuff works. The problem building the module atm, it's the other small little problems that keep the src from building completely to even get to MODPOST.

5. naked_ferret

naked_ferret Lurker

Of course dude, I wasn't doubting you. I was putting up those instructions for to encourage other people to sink their teeth into developing.

On another note....

If the information in this post is correct, we can use the following exploit to unlock the bootloader. Yes, I know its for the Galaxy S4, but its the same bootloader :)

6. rbheromax

rbheromax Android Expert

Yeah i know, I was around OUDhitsquad chat room and Shabbyoenguin, Sammyz, and djrbliss were working to port to lg devices. Maybe if I learn a sh**load more in the next few days, I can look at the code, dump boot loader and make something of it, but I doubt it. highly

7. naked_ferret

naked_ferret Lurker

Haha, that looks like an awesome community. I'm gonna be lurking in those chats to see what I can learn also.

8. rbheromax

rbheromax Android Expert

That's the reason I hang around, but a while back Shabbypenguin blocked me :p but I was allowed back lmao but Interloper really helped out on learning everything I know

9. This will brick your phone Kyocera unlike others is a very smart company.Only way to unlock the rise is to first decrypt the FW itself as the bl security is here not phone itself lmfao

10. rbheromax

rbheromax Android Expert

Yeah I'm currently using that exploit and I currently work on the Galaxy Stellar. We may never have an unlocked BL but it still makes a great POS device. :D

11. Not really even on a locked bl the Rise is still a high end phone at least for me I can do everything on it that requires CWM and more.For one what those oblivious believe you need CWM for roms this is so untrue its not even funny.Given they obviously lack competence will say a ROM in its enitrety is just removed bloatware replaced with equivalent yet minimilistic to deter RAM use,new boot animation,new font,new theme,and some random name simultaneously.Lmfao I can do forementioned on a locked bl as of right now only real reason for wanting the bl unlocked besides recovering is expanding your RAM

12. naked_ferret

naked_ferret Lurker

How do you know?

13. Been modding phones way before android came fruition is how I know.I already unlocked this bl a while back prior even joining this site and posting my no pc root method.Forementioned is only momentary though turn the phone off in any way and you will brick as like I said Rises bl is embedded in FW itself not phone even if one manages to unlock embedded layer within FW itself kicks in and bricks phone.Only Kyocera can bypass this no end user

14. starkraving

starkraving Android Expert

And for custom kernels that allow overclocking, underclocking, undervolting, tethering, rapid charging etc ...

Kyocera Rise Forum

The Kyocera Rise release date was August 2012. Features and Specs include a 3.5" inch screen, 3MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

August 2012
Release Date
Reviews