• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [DEV]Patching the Motorola 2.6.32.9 Kernel

After many tries from me and my brother to make patch files to patch kernels to work on the triumph, and many failed patch applications and headaches my brother cane up with a slightly more genius idea.

Since the triumph kernel us more of an overlay to be applied overtook of the android msm 2.6.32.9 kernel, we are going to take that approach. Since code Aurora's msm kernel is maintained up to 3.0, we figure clone the code Aurora msm android kernel 2.6.32.9 branch, and then overlay the triumph source to that and get a building and booting triumph kernel at version 2.6.32.9. And sense we would be cloning a kernel repo at 2.6.32.9 that has been patched up to 3.0 on various branches, we can use the wonderful git tools and commits on the code Aurora msm kernel to patch our source up to hopefully 3.0. I mean there will me plenty of merge conflicts in the process but if he can get it sorted out I believe we can make it work!

Upvote 0
After many tries from me and my brother to make patch files to patch kernels to work on the triumph, and many failed patch applications and headaches my brother cane up with a slightly more genius idea.

Since the triumph kernel us more of an overlay to be applied overtook of the android msm 2.6.32.9 kernel, we are going to take that approach. Since code Aurora's msm kernel is maintained up to 3.0, we figure clone the code Aurora msm android kernel 2.6.32.9 branch, and then overlay the triumph source to that and get a building and booting triumph kernel at version 2.6.32.9. And sense we would be cloning a kernel repo at 2.6.32.9 that has been patched up to 3.0 on various branches, we can use the wonderful git tools and commits on the code Aurora msm kernel to patch our source up to hopefully 3.0. I mean there will me plenty of merge conflicts in the process but if he can get it sorted out I believe we can make it work!

Any progress ? I know if u had something to report u would Im still just so curious sorry I'm super excited that we could possibly have a working 3.0 kernel

Upvote 0
Yeah I haven't got to mess with it much. Ive been trying to get my bkernels up to date lol. My brother hasn't got back to me yet.

But in other news I have been messing around with applying patches to bkernel. First I applied up to. 21 like mantera had done then I found patches up to the latest 2.6.32 release which us 2.6.32.59. I'm trying to get familiar with applying patches. I've applied up to 2.6.32.29 so far without much trouble.

Now on the scale of getting to 3.0 this isn't doing much as I hace ro get back to 2.6.32 in order to patch up to 2.6.33 and so on. Which would be alot to get ro 3.0. But I'm going to try to maybe go back to 2.6.32 and patch up to 2.6.35.x because I have all the 2.6.32.x patches and I know where to get ones to get up to 2.6.35. So maybe we can get up to 2.6.35.x for now.

I'm hoping my brother can work his magic getting up to 3.0 though. We are still trying though I promise!!!

Upvote 0
Yeah I haven't got to mess with it much. Ive been trying to get my bkernels up to date lol. My brother hasn't got back to me yet.

But in other news I have been messing around with applying patches to bkernel. First I applied up to. 21 like mantera had done then I found patches up to the latest 2.6.32 release which us 2.6.32.59. I'm trying to get familiar with applying patches. I've applied up to 2.6.32.29 so far without much trouble.

Now on the scale of getting to 3.0 this isn't doing much as I hace ro get back to 2.6.32 in order to patch up to 2.6.33 and so on. Which would be alot to get ro 3.0. But I'm going to try to maybe go back to 2.6.32 and patch up to 2.6.35.x because I have all the 2.6.32.x patches and I know where to get ones to get up to 2.6.35. So maybe we can get up to 2.6.35.x for now.

I'm hoping my brother can work his magic getting up to 3.0 though. We are still trying though I promise!!!

Thanks so much I can't wait tell your brother thanks also please y'all are awesome

Upvote 0

How's this coming I was just curious if you were making any progress

Upvote 0

For my asus transformer, a lot of devs back port specific features from 3.0 to the 2.6.xx kernel if they want those features to work and not break the kernel. Is that possible?

Reactions: treysmith
Upvote 0
Was this abandoned? I haven't heard from b_randon14 for awhile.

I have been working with mantera and brandon on this. Scroll to the bottom to see the chat.

https://github.com/mantera/2.6.35-kernel_msm7x30/commit/4d8b68ff353cb0038801932aab94a4f8ee23874f#-P

Right now it's still not booting so it's taking time to solve that kernel from our sister phone the Huawei. I have been working on some patching techniques for the kernel. I was able to patch the stock Motorola Froyo Kernel 2.6.32.9 and patched it to 3.0 using the QSD/MSM kernel. However in patching it I lost all the settings for FIH settings for our device. The good news is the patch actually installed with out one error! Since I am no kernel guru it's taking time to learn all this stuff. Sadly its very difficult to find good material on patching kernels. Most the info you will find is to download a newer kernel and compile that. Since we are stuck with what we got it's a lot more difficult to do but in time I believe we will get there. Just wish it was easier :p

Upvote 0
I have been working with mantera and brandon on this. Scroll to the bottom to see the chat.

https://github.com/mantera/2.6.35-kernel_msm7x30/commit/4d8b68ff353cb0038801932aab94a4f8ee23874f#-P

Right now it's still not booting so it's taking time to solve that kernel from our sister phone the Huawei. I have been working on some patching techniques for the kernel. I was able to patch the stock Motorola Froyo Kernel 2.6.32.9 and patched it to 3.0 using the QSD/MSM kernel. However in patching it I lost all the settings for FIH settings for our device. The good news is the patch actually installed with out one error! Since I am no kernel guru it's taking time to learn all this stuff. Sadly its very difficult to find good material on patching kernels. Most the info you will find is to download a newer kernel and compile that. Since we are stuck with what we got it's a lot more difficult to do but in time I believe we will get there. Just wish it was easier :p

I guess most things worthwhile aren't easy- hang in there g60! :)

Upvote 0
what happens if we flash X6's ICS CK kernel to our device? I don't want to be the first one who tries it :)
You definitely wouldn't be the first, it won't boot because of our baseband. It is the same as the Sharp kernel, so if you read over at xda about the X6 variants and how they work on the kernel, and don't work, we are in the same boat except we can't change our baseband by flashing an nb0, and have it still work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones