• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you support devs?

• Only free apps for me!

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • If I have to pay, I guess I will. But I'd go free if I could.

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • I will donate/pay for apps I like, even if given the option not to.

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • I will donate to devs/modders outside of the market, in addition to supporting market apps.

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • I'll use the roms and spread the word on their awesomeness, but no donations.

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters

shademar

Nov 17, 2009
Berkeley
So, while I'm a relatively new to android and a relatively broke grad student, I've made a concerted effort to support the android dev community as long I'm benefiting from it. Thus, I buy the donate version of any app I use, even if the free version is the same. I donated to home++ beta when I was using it and to Pete when I switched to bugless beast rom...

I'm curious as to what attitudes other people take towards this sort of support? I know the 'free is better' internet culture has been pretty prevalent (myself included. Hate drm, RIAA, ect.) But supporting devs directly seems necessary to continue the sort of culture that's developing here.

(Yea, and now that I'm not tethered to iTunes, I've been buying non-drm'd albums from amazon for similar reasons...)

I suppose my life is fairly simple:

If there is an app that I want that will meet my needs and is better then free versions available then I will buy the app. If there is a free version that fits my need and performs better then the paid version I will download the free version.

I rarely donate to developers. If they have reached the point where the project is consuming so much of their time and resources then it's clearly time to switch to a paid model. At that point if the product is worth the amount of money they are charging then well I'll pay it.

edit:

I want to clarify the donate thing. I just hate it when it gets to the point where the developer is constantly reminding people to "donate". I don't donate to those developers. I feel at this point they are begging for money and are looking to get paid for what they have done. If they want to get paid for it then they need to switch to a paid model.

On a related note I am going to start accepting donations for my posts soon. I feel like I make some pretty kick ass posts and frankly it consumes a lot of time. Is it to much to ask that if you like my posts that maybe you buy me a coffee? Eventually as my posts become more popular I'll strike a deal with Rob and you'll need to pay a small nominal fee to view my posts. Later on we will switch to a monthly fee; but don't worry we will throw in some frivolous extra features like a forum badge that says "I subscribe to that one idiots posts" to make you feel better.

Upvote 0
It depends on the App in my opinion. If its something that I will actually use frequently, I will pay for it. If not, then I will just get a free version, if it has Ads, I don't mind one bit. They get a small amount of money from those Ads, so while I didn't buy their paid version, they are still making money.

Upvote 0
If I need a app and it costs $$ I will buy it. I have donated to a few ROM dev's and recently I set Pete (Bugless Beauty dev) up with some hosting. It disgusts me how cheap some people are, then they turn around and complain how we don't have enough apps. Guess what, you people who download paid apps from a *certain site* (I will not give ANY shine to the site) are the reason why dev's don't wanna put lots of time and effort into Android work.

Upvote 0
I've been seeing those sites pop up as well, mostly in the Android market comments. I don't think it would hurt Google to have some rules and restrictions with regards to the market in order to protect its veracity. It could be kind of like the US government in a way. For example; pricing model, revenue model, and common currency model, as well as user comments and all unregulated and probably shouldn't be.

Upvote 0
I will donate or pay for apps that are worth it. For example alot of Developers dont develope for Android and spend all there money focusing on the quality of thier android apps as they do for thier iPhone apps. If they did the same for Android I'd gladly pay. For example the other day I was looking around for a good Instant Messenging app. I ran across IM+. Now I have used this for iPhone/iTouch and had an idea what its supposed to be like and it was the same price as the iPhone version. So I bought it. After using it I couldnt believe it was so different and missing so many features the iPhone version has. Yet it was the same price. Then they are expecting android users to pay for this. Refund. look Devs if you want to make money in the market make your apps like you want to make money. Dont short change us just because you think we're not as big as iPhone. A year from now Android is gonna out do Blackberry and all the other smart phone OS's. Trust me you are gonna make money if you put out quality products. Oh and dont let me get into the games!! I'll leave that for another time.

Upvote 0
The Droid community, by and large, is made up of a bunch of cheapskates! I think it's pretty embarrassing sometimes to read the comments on this forum and in the Market.

So you think we should all blindly throw money around?

iPhone developers have had it nice because they have a user base who for the most part don't give a rats ass and are willing to throw away vast sums of money on crap apps like fart machines. However I doubt this is the case with platforms like Android or even webOS. I am willing to wager that the majority of the user base of Android is a bit more discerning when it comes to what they spend their money on.

Upvote 0
If there is a free version and a donate version, I'll try the free one first just to make sure it works like it states. If it does I'll uninstall and buy the one where you donate. I've done it with all the apps I have.

Having an Itouch, its a pain when something looks great, you buy it then there's no return policy even if it doesn't work.

For those dev's I'm familiar with, and have purchased from in the past, I don't hesitate to get the "donate" version up front because I know they work. :)

I do read all the comments to see what issues there are and make an educated guess on devs that are new. From my experience about 90% of all the apps I've downloaded and paid for run great, and I couldn't be happier.

There's no such thing as free if you want a quality application. What would make anyone want to support or upgrade it if they aren't getting anything but a pat on the back for it?

Keep up the good work, and thank you for the apps/games. I sure couldn't write any of them.

S

Upvote 0
I have a few that I plan on buying, but without paypal or real credit cards/etc.. it is interesting. I'm among the crowd that misses out a lot because of this. I do not have a problem however with devs asking for or needing support, especially if the apps are worth it.

I do draw the line however when devs block access to software that they did not write..only modify.. unless people pay(There is such a bunch over at CB:rolleyes:). Things like this need to be donation only.

Upvote 0
So you think we should all blindly throw money around?

iPhone developers have had it nice because they have a user base who for the most part don't give a rats ass and are willing to throw away vast sums of money on crap apps like fart machines. However I doubt this is the case with platforms like Android or even webOS. I am willing to wager that the majority of the user base of Android is a bit more discerning when it comes to what they spend their money on.

I think he is talking about users who search for warez/cracked versions of the paid apps.

Upvote 0
I feel very strongly that we must support these devs so they will continue to support us with updates and better apps. I have even purchased several apps that I dont even use to further support such devs as Francois DESLANDES and LevelUp Studio who produce such golden apps as Pure Agenda and Beautiful Widgets respectively.

I have donated to ROM builders on several occasions and will continue to do so because I know just how much work and dedication it takes to create and maintain these beasts.

Man, Carson Daly was right, this karma shiznit is for real!!

Upvote 0
I think he is talking about users who search for warez/cracked versions of the paid apps.

Yeah well if that's the case I don't know what to tell anyone. Warez is a common problem to all systems. There is always going to be a small subset of individuals who will rather pirate then buy; these individuals would have never bought the software to begin with so it's no big loss.

Upvote 0
i like to pay for apps, my wallet thanks me.

but seriously, i buy the pay versions and donate to some developers of free apps too. but i refuse to pay a ridiculous amount of money for an app that isn't fully supported and/or doesn't work well (ie $10 for locale is ridiculous). i'll even donate to development efforts when the dev seems dedicated to improving the app and working out kinks and bugs. there are a few free apps i have now that i wish were pay apps to get rid of the ads.

i usually bypass free versions anytime there is a donate/pay option. i just take my 24 hour trial period and uninstall if it is buggy. I know that as long as the app works like i want i'm going to end up with the pay version anyway, so i don't bother with the free.

i appreciate what devs take the time to do. most times i feel like i could write the app myself (not saying I could do it better, just saying if i took the time i could write something to do what i want), but i know I don't want to spend time doing it, so i'm willing to contribute to someone else for their effort.

Upvote 0
It's funny how my own views have shifted, although I never would have said I was opposed to donations, support ect...The majority of programs I use on a day-to-day basis are sold at somewhat prohibitive prices by major companies (Adobe, MS), released as professional resources from funded sources (NIH's ImageJ), or distributed as free programs that benefit the company in other ways (Chrome, ect).

I began to be more dev-conscious when I emailed a few about apps on the marketplace and got really prompt replies from the app creators themselves. Plus, seeing many devs and rom developers respond on various message boards to questions about their work sort of hammered home that a huge part of android right now comprises the work of individuals. This shift is part of the reason I've been curious about others' thoughts. (As a personal aside, my husband is a writer, which has made me acutely aware how much the little trickle of support can matter.)

(I very much agree with only supporting apps and whatnot that deliver what they promise, though! I really wish the market would be more conducive to ranking searches by rating and popularity...it's kind of a mess at the moment without things like this forum to point me in the right direction.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones