1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Developers - screen shot app sans root! Please!

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by HumanContract, Mar 29, 2010.

1. HumanContract

HumanContract Member

Is it just an impossibility to do? I have no idea about these things, but I guess if it is possible it would have been done already, no?

I haven't taken the plunge to root, and not sure if I will...and the instructions for screen shot on Droid are basically chinese to me because I have no skill when it comes to this sorta thing.

I just want an app that will take a screenshot without root =[

People like me would pay for an app like this. You could make killer money guys, come on!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jimdroid

jimdroid Android Expert

I believe it is a security violation; hence the need to root.

you can take screenshots of an unrooted phone using the android development environment.

3. HumanContract

HumanContract Member

Thanks, maybe one day when I have lots of brain power I'll try it out, lol.

4. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Android Expert

I'm using "PicMe" and "ShootMe", one does screen shots and the other does (very low fps) screen casts via a web server (I can never remember which is which though! :p).

Anyway, I played around with these before rooting my phone and they worked just fine! :D I don't know if you have the same luck, but it's worth a shot...

ILoveMyDroid likes this.
  5. badfrog

badfrog Well-Known Member

I followed these instructions and got it figured out rather quickly.

when you connect your phone, make sure it is in sync mode, not charge or mount.
    also, I just installed all the available packages.
    you may need to change it to force https to http (under settings tab/misc)

6. HumanContract

HumanContract Member

Thank you! I will def try them out, I was under the impression all those apps were for rooted phones only. Can't thank you enough!

Update
    Yeah totally doesn't work without root...the more I read the more I wanna root, but I'm shakin in mah boots ;[

7. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Android Expert

Sorry to hear it didn't work for you ... I didn't know why it worked for me in the first place. The security model on Android is really a pain, and it's not very elegantly thought out. But then I come from the wide-open PalmOS where rooting wasn't required and on-the-fly backups just worked. (Good times... :eek:)

Can I ask, what are you afraid of? I don't mean to be any kind of condescending, but trying to understand.

I don't know how rooting works on the Droid (I'm sure the rooting forum knows), but on my Galaxy it's an extreeemely easy and risk-free process! Here's a thought: try to find some threads from people who've bricked their phones by rooting ... I can't recall seeing any.

8. badfrog

badfrog Well-Known Member

the method I posted and does work, and doesn't mess with your phone any.
    it seems a little daunting at first, but once you figure it out, it's all cake from there.

HumanContract likes this.
  9. HumanContract

HumanContract Member

Well, I've had the Droid for about 2-3 weeks now and have been reading about rooting more and more the past couple days. I am pretty sure I will eventually do it, I just want to make sure I'm well prepared and know what I'm doing and have read all the necessary info about it.

I am basically happy with my phone, I mean it's awesome! But just hearing about all this root talk makes me think it must be worth it. I do wish however that I was a little more savvy in the tech department it would definitely help with my confidence lol, all of the lingo I read kinda makes my head spin so I'm just reading and re-reading until I feel more comfy.

Thanks for your help and support, I will definitely let ya know how it goes once I do root =]

10. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Android Expert

11. dmodert66

dmodert66 Android Expert

12. (G)

(G) Android Expert

Right. But I posted the link and the topic last night. :D

I'm no tech wizard, but I got it to work within about 10 minutes... no fuss, no muss. Pretty simpy.

13. lemodular

lemodular Well-Known Member

Home ++ will do this, at least when I used it.

no root, no SDK

14. just_jess

just_jess Lurker

15. kevin@teslacoilsw

kevin@teslacoilsw Well-Known Member

Plug the phone into the computer and make sure Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging is on.

On your Mac open Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and run:
    ~/android-sdk-mac_86/tools/ddms

(Assuming you put the android-sdk-mac_86 directory in your home directory, if it's on your desktop then ~/Desktop/android-sdk-mac_86/tools/ddms)

This will bring up the DDMS console and you can do Menu > Device > Screen Capture.