• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Device as sharable player.

Hi. I have a Galaxy S5 I'm not using anymore, so I want to just use it as a streaming music player (music player playing all my music, randomly) that I leave connected to a charger and a headphone jack that goes into my garage boombox.

So this works great, but I was wondering... instead of bringing the phone in, connecting to my laptop with USB to copy new songs over, is it possible to just make my sd card on the phone (where I store my songs) sharable on my network since the phone is connected to my wifi?

I did find this:
where it talks about using WebDAV, but I wasn't sure if there was a better way that others might recommend.

Thanks.

Just to confirm, your home network's WiFi range does extend out to your garage, yes? To set up some kind of remote access like you're intending your S5 will need to be connected to your home network. If so, that WebDAV Server app solution seems to be pretty straightforward. I was going to suggest using AirDroid but after watching that video, the set up process is going to be similar. If you're looking for a simpler, just-push-a-button solution I'm not aware of one, at some point to implement what you're asking will require at least some finagling on your part. There are a number of third-party file manager apps that include functionality to set up remote access over a local network but there are also some caveats depending on what version of Android your S5 is running and if it's rooted or not (as far as remote access to a microSD card).

Reactions: rankinbryan360
Upvote 0
Not absolutely sure but I believe the S5 relies on Bluetooth v4 so the extended range for Bluetooth v5 isn't possible. But whichever the case, depending on how far away your garage is from your home, it's something to look into. Personally, given the security issues related to Bluetooth connectivity in general, I think WiFi is still a better option with more ways to lock it down but if you live in an area where you don't have to worry about your neighbors trying to hack into your home LAN than it's not as big an issue..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth#Uses

Upvote 0
Not absolutely sure but I believe the S5 relies on Bluetooth v4 so the extended range for Bluetooth v5 isn't possible. But whichever the case, depending on how far away your garage is from your home, it's something to look into. Personally, given the security issues related to Bluetooth connectivity in general, I think WiFi is still a better option with more ways to lock it down but if you live in an area where you don't have to worry about your neighbors trying to hack into your home LAN than it's not as big an issue..

<br>

<a href='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth#Uses' target='_blank' class='externalLink' rel='nofollow'>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth#Uses</a>

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones