• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Device does not connect with 4G automatically

Alex2873645

Lurker
Sep 15, 2021
Hello,

I am looking for an app that AUTOMATICALLY does the following:

- When I am only connected via "Mobile Data", but I do not have a 4G connection:
-- Switch the network type to 3G/2G
-- Wait until I have 3G mobile data
-- Switch the network type to 4G

Is there an app that does exactly that? So that I do not have to do these steps all the time manually? Needs to work with Android 11.

Thanks

Last edited:
I have one suggestion (below, in some detail), but first a few thoughts on your list of possible causes (edit: which seem to have been lost in a thread merge, so I'm now replying to a list that's no longer there):

* It's not Android 11. I've been using that for a year now and never experienced this. Of course it could be that Realme have messed-up their version of Android 11, but that would be a Realme problem rather than an Android 11 problem (see below).

* It isn't the individual phone, because you've changed your phone and have the same problem.

* It would be surprising if it was the network provider, because that would affect a lot of people and produce a lot of complaints. But not knowing who that is it's hard to say more.

* I've no experience of Realme phones, so cannot say whether this is a common problem with them (see first point)

* It's a weird one for a SIM problem, but I can't completely rule that out.

I've one suggestion you can try, but be a bit careful with this:

* Open your phone app. Dial the number *#*#4636#*#* - do not press the call button, just type that number in. On most phones that will take you to a hidden menu called "Testing". If Realme or your service provider have removed that then you don't need to read the rest (though you could see whether an app called "Any Cut" is still available, and if it is see whether that can give you a shortcut to the "Testing" module. If the hidden menu exists but the dialer shortcut has been removed that might still give you access).

* One item in the menu is "Phone information". Select that.

* Scroll down, without changing anything, until you find "Set preferred network type". It will probably show several network types (mine shows LTE/CDMA/EvDo/GSM/WCDMA (PRL), and 2 of those are network types that have never existed in my country). The important question is whether "LTE" is in the list, as that is the protocol used for 4G.

* If LTE is included then you can exit this menu - just return to home via your home button or gesture is fine. That would mean that the problem is not here.

* If LTE is not included, touch the list to see what other options there are. The trick then is knowing the right one for where you live. If it helps, "GSM" is 2G in most of the world, "WCDMA" is 3G for GSM-based networks, CDMA and EvDo are 2G and 3G for CDMA networks (mainly found in North America, rare or non-existent elsewhere), TDSCDMA is I think a China-only technology, and I've no idea what "NR" is, which is the other thing I find amongst my options. Try to set it to something that includes not only LTE but the other technologies appropriate for your network (don't include TDSCMA unless you actually do live somewhere where that is used).

My speculation is that you might find it set to "GSM/WCDMA preferred" (i.e. 2G/3G preferred) or else "CDMA/EvDo/GSM/WCDMA (PRL)". If so this could be the source of your problem, since those would tell the phone not to select 4G connections. If so then changing it here to something that includes LTE might make your selection of 4G actually stick.

* Exit the menu without changing anything else (just return to home is fine). Do not change anything else: this is an engineering test menu, and there are things in there that can cause difficult to fix problems if you mess them up.

That's the only thing I can really think of, other than changing your SIM and hoping that a newer one fixes it or giving up on Realme phones.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
* Open your phone app. Dial the number *#*#4636#*#* - do not press the call button, just type that number in. On most phones that will take you to a hidden menu called "Testing". If Realme or your service provider have removed that then you don't need to read the rest (though you could see whether an app called "Any Cut" is still available, and if it is see whether that can give you a shortcut to the "Testing" module. If the hidden menu exists but the dialer shortcut has been removed that might still give you access).

Thanks for that hint, but that code does not seem to work.

Upvote 0
Yeah, a few manufacturers remove it, but I couldn't remember whether Realme were one of them.

Get a new SIM card to make sure it's not some odd incompatibility between the old card and newer phone is all I can think of (assuming I've read your first post correctly and this is the second phone you've had with the same problem).

You could try contacting the manufacturer, but I would not have high expectations of a helpful response.

Reactions: mikedt and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Hello,

I have an Android 11 device (Realme 8 Pro), which just has been replaced with a new model. But even that new model had the same problem:

1. I restart the phone, shut it down or just select Airplane Mode.
2. When I restart the phone, or turn off the Airplane Mode, the phone does not connect to 4G Mobile Data. There is no small 4G label above the "reception bars".
3. I need to switch the "network type" to 3G/2G
4. I wait until I have a connection (2 seconds).
5. Then I can change the network type to 4G

After that, I have 4G network.

But I need to follow these steps EVERY TIME I turn off the phone, or just switch on Airplane Mode (like each night).

Are you in the USA or Canada? And if so, who's your carrier? Because if you are, this Realme phone may not be fully compatible with the carrier networks in those countries.

Upvote 0
Hello,

I am looking for an app that AUTOMATICALLY does the following:

- When I am only connected via "Mobile Data", but I do not have a 4G connection:

Is there an app that does exactly that? So that I do not have to do these steps all the time manually? Needs to work with Android 11.

Thanks
I don't understand why you want this because if you're in an area where you don't get 4G, your phone will automatically switch to 3G, and then it'll go back to 4G automatically once you're in 4G coverage again

Upvote 0
I don't understand why you want this because if you're in an area where you don't get 4G, your phone will automatically switch to 3G, and then it'll go back to 4G automatically once you're in 4G coverage again

The issue is, that my phone does not connect to 4G automatically. I ALWAYS have to repeat the procedure I stated in my original post in order to get 4G after a reboot or switching from Airplane Mode. I just want to make my life easier. That is why I asking for an app.

Again:

Without the app every day I have to follow these steps to connect to 4G:

With an app that works: I do not have to do anything (because the app is doing it)

I am in France with Orange as carrier

Upvote 0
if this was me, i would not put up with having to switch all the time like that.....even if you find an app that does this, i would be pissed and frustrated. i would return the phone and ask for something else, since 2 exact phones was doing this. tell your carrier that you will switch to somebody else unless the issue is resolved.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Most carriers have already dropped supporting 2G and are in the process of dropping support for 3G cellular networks so this might be a non-issue in the near future. But whatever. Instead of setting up some kind of kluge as an awkward workaround or adding some app to do the same, what have you tried as far as fixing the actual problem?
Have you tried re-seating your SIM card? You should also try going to your carrier's web site, find their recommended APN settings, and create a new APN entry in your phone. (Be sure to type in the settings exactly as shown on the site so don't add in space characters of your own and use the same lower case/upper case, and always restart your phone when you select a different APN entry.)

Upvote 0
Most carriers have already dropped supporting 2G and are in the process of dropping support for 3G cellular networks so this might be a non-issue in the near future.
True in the US, not necessarily elsewhere. France still has extensive 2G coverage, including on the OP's network.

But I absolutely agree that the app they are looking for, if it exists, sounds a horrible kludge. And since this is a weird fault rather than a normal feature I think it unlikely that such an app exists.

Did you buy the phone from your service provider? I'm guessing not, as I can't see any Realme phones offered on Orange.fr, but if you had you could ask them to fix or replace it (which might still be an option if it was bought recently through a dealer who described it as compatible with Orange, but I'm not really expert on French consumer law). As an aside it was nice to read a website in French again, I've been stuck in the UK for too long...

Upvote 0
Finally, the issue might have been solved.

It looks like it was the operating system. Nothing more, nothing less!

There was an update to the operating system (RMX3081_11_A.41). After this update, after a reboot or leaving AirplaneMode, the device did connect to 4G right away!

So it was the operating system! It was the used Android version!

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones