1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Device Manager

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by neil154, Jan 4, 2014.

1. neil154

neil154 Android Enthusiast

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Real Estate Agent
    Charlottesville, VA
    I have the device manager installed on my Verizon S3 and my wife's Verizon S3. On both phones I have all the location services checked so they are available also I have it "Checked" in "Device Administration"

I am trying to locate the phones using the app and having problems. I even tried to locate my own phone from my own phone and it said unavailable.

Can you help me solve this issue?

BTW Even though it says unavailable I can still "ring" the phone from the app

I also just tried locating my phone using the device manager from within my play store and it worked fine from Google Play

Advertisement

2. Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky Android Expert
    None

Oct 27, 2011
    business owner
    SoCal
    There are two places containing settings for Device Manager. It sounds like you have addressed all the ones in Settings > More > Security. There is a second location though, and it directly address the locater function you are trying to access via the website. That is, the Google Settings app - verify that you have the box checked for "Remotely locate this device" under Android Device Manager. It's possible you may have even hidden this app in the drawer (many people do), since it's a set&forget function.

3. neil154

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Real Estate Agent
    Charlottesville, VA
    Yes, I am aware of both places where you need to set allow location and I have them set. As I said if I try locate Device Manager from my phone it fails but if I try it from my Play account it works fine.

Would appreciate your help.

4. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert
    None

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    I doubt this is your problem but I'll mention it anyway since it stumped me for awhile.

Make sure you have the correct phone selected in Android Device Manager app in your browser. That is a little tricky for me. Mine has choice of my new phone SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 and my old phone SAMSUNG-SGH-I997. The problem is, the text is so big that all I see is SAMSUNG-SGH-. When I have the wrong one selected and try to locate, it fails because as the old phone no longer has a SIM.

5. neil154

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Real Estate Agent
    Charlottesville, VA
    To fix your issue of the name being to long go in Menu then rename device when you are in the app on your phone. Make the old phone some name like cancelled

6. neil154

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Real Estate Agent
    Charlottesville, VA
    Anyone have suggestions for my problem?