• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Device name that shows up in wifi router's list of devices. Can it be changed?

airdog

Jun 9, 2010
Hey all,

I just bought a new ASUS RT-AC66U router and was just going through some of the settings. When I clicked "Client Status" (attached devices), I expected to find my laptop, iPod, printer, and Directv tuners (3) which are always connected. We have 2 EVO 4G LTE's, 1 EVO 3D, and 1 original EVO. They show up like this android-9948cd56d920da80 (the numbers and letters after android are different for each device)

Is there anyway I can change the name android to something else so that it's easier to identify each device easier?

hi,

this is common with Android and not just one device. the xoom tablet I use shows this. ITs what the OS shows the router when its requesting an IP address.

you need to root your device to change this. I do not have time or want to go through all of that just to change a name, but should you want to do this or if you are already rooted, its not hard to modify this descriptor.

I also think there are apps in the market that will change this but again you need to be rooted.

Here is an option that requires you to set a static IP in your router. give it a shot:

How To: See phone custom name in router, instead of generic name - xda-developers

Once in the services tab, I added an entry to the static IP list. Put in my mac address, ip and then set the hostname to "Skyrocket"[you can, i imagine, set this to anything you want -MOD note]. Now, in my active list it shows up as "Skyrocket" instead of the generic based identification name (android_blablablabla). I'll be doing this with all my droids now, so I can tell them apart without having to remember which mac addy is which. Hope someone finds this useful. IT was handy for me, considering you cant change the hostname of the Android device from the phone. I know it is not changing the actual hostname on the device, just in the router. But, thats all I wanted.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones