1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Device not recognized in ubuntu

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bfuzze, Aug 12, 2011.

1. bfuzze

bfuzze Lurker
    None

Aug 12, 2011
    This is my first time posting on this forum...

I just got my transformer and am having trouble connecting to it from my desktop via usb. I've been surfing the web for a couple days trying a variety of different things. I'm relatively new to the android platform, but I've been using ubuntu for a few years.

What really troubles me is that I'm not getting ANYTHING when I connect the tablet. In the past, if I connected an usb device that ubuntu doesn't recognize/know how to interface with I get at least some indication that a device has been connected in the form of some sort of error.

I've tried playing with the udev rules as described in developer docs and on this forum.
    Created /etc/udev/rules.d/90-android.rules (at first it was 51-, but then I read someone had luck raising the priority). This is what the file looks like now:
    Code (Text):
    2. SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666"
    4. SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666"
    6. SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0b05", ATTRS{idProduct}=="4e0f", MODE="0666", OWNER="root"
    8. SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0b05", ATTRS{idProduct}=="4e0f", MODE="0666", OWNER="root"
    10. SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0b05", MODE="0666"
    I'm not sure if rules can conflict with each other so initially I did each individually and restarted udev service as well as adb server. Now I just have them all unescaped. Seems like they would all be read in and stored, but I'm not sure if this works.

With each attempt I look for the tablet using:
    lsusb
    abd devices

On the tablet I have 'Unknown sources' checked (I know this pertains to app install, but I think its worth a mention) and 'USB debugging' checked.

My table is NOT rooted. I assume it does not need to be.

I also want to note that I can ssh to/from the device via wireless, but for development this is cumbersome. In addition, I started testing on Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10, but decided to upgrade to 11.04 recently. Same experience on all versions.

I can't think of anything else at the moment. Any suggestions/inquiries welcome. Been working on this a while and need some outside perspectives.

Some system information...
    Tablet:
    Desktop:
    TIA!

Advertisement

2. synesius

synesius Lurker
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    I don't think it is possible to link it directly to a Linux machine thro' USB in this way yet. It IS in Windows. It automatically shows as "Transporter" in the Windows "Computer" display when connected thro' USB.

You CAN link the Transporter to Linux tho' by using the Astro app on the Transporter, assuming you have Samba set up on your Linux. If you touch the Astro icon on the screen, and then New, you can enter the IP for your Linux machine (something like 192.168.1.3 - you can find what it is by using the "sudo ifconfig" command in a Linux machine terminal.) You will then have access to whatever your Linux setup has set for Share, and you can save the setting in Astro for future use.

3. bfuzze

bfuzze Lurker
    None

Aug 12, 2011
    thanks for the response synesius. im getting that same impression. i have had some success connecting to the fikesystem using ssh, essentially mounting the filesystem. fhis seems odd though, do you know why? the idea that a Linux platform communicates better with windows than other linux platforms is disturbing...