1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Device won't boot - displays big multicolored "X"

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by prepaidcelluser, Jan 23, 2014.

1. prepaidcelluser

None

Jan 23, 2014
    I apologize if this isn't the correct forum. I looked around and couldn't figure out where to go.

My son has a Samsung S that is activated on PagePlus. He put the newest version of Android on it. A couple of days ago he was downloading an app, and it kept hanging up and giving him an error message that said, "the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped." I googled for a solution, and found that he needed to go into the settings and disable - and then re-enable - the Download Manager. So he did that...

And then when he rebooted the phone, the word "Samsung" appeared on the screen for a bit... an then it was replaced by a big glowing multicolored "X".

We've removed the battery, tried to reboot in various ways (holding the power button down through the whole reboot, etc.), but can't get beyond the big "X".

Can anyone direct me to a place to troubleshoot this, or tell us how up a creek we are?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    Id try googling how to boot it into "safe mode". That disables all downloaded apps so try that and see if it boots.
    If all else fails, google how to put it into "recovery mode" and from there you can factory reset it (all data will be lost)
    I think on all samsungs its hold in Home, Power, and volume UP all at the same time to get into recovery mode but try safe mode first if you want to try and avoid wiping the whole phone

3. prepaidcelluser

None

Jan 23, 2014
    Thanks - we'll do that!

It's almost impossible to google for a solution since it's a Samsung with an "X" as the problem... and there is a phone called the Samsung X! lol Every google result I get seems to be a review for the Samsung X.

4. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    lol i can imagine :D
    Is it a galaxy S?
    On the s3, to boot into safe mode you push the power button to turn it on as usual but keep tapping the menu button while it boots. I have a feeling youll have to reset it though so hopefully theres nothing important on it :thumbup:

5. prepaidcelluser

None

Jan 23, 2014
    Well, shoot... neither worked. When I tried the instructions I found for recovery mode, it did something a little different in that "Samsung" was displayed, and then faded out, and then faded back in again, and then out again, etc., until I released the buttons. Then the dreaded glowing multicolored "X" appeared again.

funkylogik likes this.
  6. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Doh. What button combo did you do to try and put it in recovery mode?

7. prepaidcelluser

None

Jan 23, 2014
    Yes, it's an S - used by our youngest child who isn't much of a talker or texter and really doesn't need the latest or greatest. Our oldest (who is away at college - otherwise he would be in charge of figuring this out) put KitKat on it for our youngest shortly after he got it for Christmas this year, and it's run extremely well until this issue.

8. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Try power, home and volume up but let them go when the "samsung" screen first appears

9. prepaidcelluser

None

Jan 23, 2014
    Now I can't find the instructions I initially found for both safe and recovery, but I believe it said to press Menu, Home, and Power as it was coming on.

I just tried tapping Menu as it came on... no new result. :(

10. prepaidcelluser

None

Jan 23, 2014
    Tried Power+Home+Volume Up and letting go when Samsung appears... same result, unfortunately.

I have to remove the battery to get it to turn off. Otherwise, it just stays on with the glowing "X" until the battery runs down.

11. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Man if it wont go into recovery then the ONLY hope is to get it into "download mode" and reflash it.
    Again, google it but usually on samsung its Home, Power and volume DOWN.
    If that doesnt work then youre pretty much up that creek as far as i know :(

12. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    P.s, youre doing these key combos starting with the phone off right?

13. prepaidcelluser

None

Jan 23, 2014
    I said above that our oldest put KitKat on it... but I've finally figured out that the image it's stuck on is the Jelly Bean boot animation. Knowing that will at least help me google for a solution a little better...

[​IMG]

14. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    I moved this thread to the forum dedicated to this phone ... A.K.A. the best place to find other users of his phone.

... Thom

15. prepaidcelluser

None

Jan 23, 2014
    Funky, yes, doing everything starting with the phone off. I remove the battery to get it off, and then press the buttons, which starts the 'turning on' process.

Our oldest will be home from college this weekend - I may just have to put him in charge of trying to fix it. I haven't attempted to plug it into my computer... but that may ultimately be necessary. Grrrr... so crazy that it was working flawlessly and suddenly, not working at all!

funkylogik likes this.
  16. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Ah right. When you said the latest version i thought you meant the latest official version. Thats a custom rom. Did the kitkat rom ever boot up? (That X is the Google Nexus logo btw)
    Youre in the right forum now so hopefully these guys can get you sorted.
    Good luck :beer:

17. prepaidcelluser

None

Jan 23, 2014

Whatever he put on it has been booting flawlessly for.... well, for about a month, I guess, since that's how long we've had the phone.

I'm not an Android user, and didn't realize those versions weren't 'official'. :)

It's behaving as though it's just flat out bricked. I'll pull the microSD and see if there's anything on it that we need to get off, and then when our oldest is home for the weekend, maybe he can figure out how to start fresh. Fortunately, I'm sure he doesn't have anything of great importance on it (photos, etc.)... so hopefully we can figure out something that will just wipe it and reinstall basic software and go from there.

Thanks for your help!

18. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    The x sounds like at the very least he has the nexus bootimage installed, and very likely an AOSP ROM

funkylogik likes this.
  19. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Its pretty rare for a rom to just stop working. It usually works or just wont boot in the first place.
    Since the phone has some life it isnt truly bricked but if it wont go into download mode then it might as well be. The only final hope is a lil accessory called a "usb jig" that forces it into recovery. Theyre very cheap.
    Anyway, good luck mate and take care :beer:

20. prepaidcelluser

None

Jan 23, 2014
    Thanks! We may ultimately have to go that route. Here's to hoping our oldest son can pull off a miracle! lol