• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Device won't boot - displays big multicolored "X"

I apologize if this isn't the correct forum. I looked around and couldn't figure out where to go.

My son has a Samsung S that is activated on PagePlus. He put the newest version of Android on it. A couple of days ago he was downloading an app, and it kept hanging up and giving him an error message that said, "the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped." I googled for a solution, and found that he needed to go into the settings and disable - and then re-enable - the Download Manager. So he did that...

And then when he rebooted the phone, the word "Samsung" appeared on the screen for a bit... an then it was replaced by a big glowing multicolored "X".

We've removed the battery, tried to reboot in various ways (holding the power button down through the whole reboot, etc.), but can't get beyond the big "X".

Can anyone direct me to a place to troubleshoot this, or tell us how up a creek we are?

Thanks in advance!

Id try googling how to boot it into "safe mode". That disables all downloaded apps so try that and see if it boots.
If all else fails, google how to put it into "recovery mode" and from there you can factory reset it (all data will be lost)
I think on all samsungs its hold in Home, Power, and volume UP all at the same time to get into recovery mode but try safe mode first if you want to try and avoid wiping the whole phone

Upvote 0
Yes, it's an S - used by our youngest child who isn't much of a talker or texter and really doesn't need the latest or greatest. Our oldest (who is away at college - otherwise he would be in charge of figuring this out) put KitKat on it for our youngest shortly after he got it for Christmas this year, and it's run extremely well until this issue.

Upvote 0
I said above that our oldest put KitKat on it... but I've finally figured out that the image it's stuck on is the Jelly Bean boot animation. Knowing that will at least help me google for a solution a little better...

VqmBJ.gif

Upvote 0
Funky, yes, doing everything starting with the phone off. I remove the battery to get it off, and then press the buttons, which starts the 'turning on' process.

Our oldest will be home from college this weekend - I may just have to put him in charge of trying to fix it. I haven't attempted to plug it into my computer... but that may ultimately be necessary. Grrrr... so crazy that it was working flawlessly and suddenly, not working at all!

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
I said above that our oldest put KitKat on it... but I've finally figured out that the image it's stuck on is the Jelly Bean boot animation. Knowing that will at least help me google for a solution a little better...

VqmBJ.gif

Ah right. When you said the latest version i thought you meant the latest official version. Thats a custom rom. Did the kitkat rom ever boot up? (That X is the Google Nexus logo btw)
Youre in the right forum now so hopefully these guys can get you sorted.
Good luck :beer:

Upvote 0
lol i can imagine :D
Is it a galaxy S?
On the s3, to boot into safe mode you push the power button to turn it on as usual but keep tapping the menu button while it boots. I have a feeling youll have to reset it though so hopefully theres nothing important on it :thumbup:

Ah right. When you said the latest version i thought you meant the latest official version. Thats a custom rom. Did the kitkat rom ever boot up? (That X is the Google Nexus logo btw)
Youre in the right forum now so hopefully these guys can get you sorted.
Good luck :beer:

Whatever he put on it has been booting flawlessly for.... well, for about a month, I guess, since that's how long we've had the phone.

I'm not an Android user, and didn't realize those versions weren't 'official'. :)

It's behaving as though it's just flat out bricked. I'll pull the microSD and see if there's anything on it that we need to get off, and then when our oldest is home for the weekend, maybe he can figure out how to start fresh. Fortunately, I'm sure he doesn't have anything of great importance on it (photos, etc.)... so hopefully we can figure out something that will just wipe it and reinstall basic software and go from there.

Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
Its pretty rare for a rom to just stop working. It usually works or just wont boot in the first place.
Since the phone has some life it isnt truly bricked but if it wont go into download mode then it might as well be. The only final hope is a lil accessory called a "usb jig" that forces it into recovery. Theyre very cheap.
Anyway, good luck mate and take care :beer:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones