• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help DHD auto-shutdown randomly

My phone shut down randomly, for example yesterday I was putting the charge cable in, and it shuts itself. Then I can start it up normally, but it will take at least a couple of minutes to be operative.
Those shutdowns can happen at every moment, when I make a photo, when I answer a call, when I'm browsing internet or w/e.
It seems to happen more at around 10 pm, like there is something with the meteo widget that make the phone crash. Sometimes the phone shuts down, I start it, and it shuts down again, this even 10-15 times (no joke), usually ever at 9-11 pm. Anyway I can have those random crashes at every hour, usually it happens 4/5 times a week.
Probably is the meteo widget and its animation, I'll try to remove it, but what's the meaning of having sense, without this beautiful widget?

I bought the phone used, but anyway wiped to stock. After a while it started doing this, if I remember correctly after I first installed an unformatted sd card. At that time, the phone would shuts itself every time I tried to make a photo. Anyway, after I formatted the card I could do photo, but the random shutdowns started to happen. I changed sd in the meantime, but this didn't changed this problem. I can't really say if it's linked to any app because I can't remember precisely when this started.

Upvote 0
Well the phone shutted itself today, more or less 5 hours after I took it off the charge. When I restarted the phone, it said 9% battery charge, even if before the shut down the battery was a bit pess then half charge and the bar wasn't even yellow. I will try those apps...

Oh and I didn't notice if it spiked to 100%, I will look at it the next time...

Reactions: ral
Upvote 0
Latest news: I exit my house with more or less 75/80% battery, an hour and 30 minutes after it was 55%, using 3g and some time of instant messaging and sms. After that, it shuts, I start the phone and I see 18% battery. Then I stopped using the phone because it continued to shuts.

Now I think (and hope?) it's battery's fault and I would like to replace it. I saw that on dealextreme.com there are many batteries at 8$ or less, can I trust those? Should I choose the one with highest mAh?

Upvote 0
Another-other-other-other update: today the phone shutted down like a m.... without any apparent reason as usual, as soon as the first lock screen appeared, the phone died no matter what. Battery full charged this morning, it started doing that after 3-4 hours, with the only use being a single text message. No wifi, no 3G though.

I was working so I didn't touched the phone then a couple hours ago I started the boot-shutdown ballet (10-15 times at least), even tried a battery pull, without any luck. Then I did another search on the internet and I found this: How to Fix HTC Desire HD Reboot Problem in a Second | htc desire hd reboot problem fix, syncing htc desire hd with pc, syncing htc desire hd with mac, Tutorial
So I tried to boot the phone without the sim card in it, and "presto!" the phone stays on. I have to wait some time to be sure, but is at least a bit strange that after a day of instant death I could manage to keep the phone some more time on by removing the sim card.

Anyway, I can't find words to say "thank you" for your patience, mates.

Edit: this didn't changed the fact that on boot sense is laggy, but if the phone stays alive it's a minor issue to me...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones