1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

DHD black screen

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ord101, Dec 26, 2012.

1. ord101

ord101 Lurker

Hi,

I turned on my phone this morning and it started in boot mode. I had a look in the 'fastboot' section of the boot menu and stupidly clicked on - I think - an option called 'bootloader', although I may be wrong on this. . .

Anyway, then the screen went black.

I've tried restarting phone several times by taking out the battery, but the screen stays black. The charging light also doesn't come on when I charge the phone, and there's no backlight.

The phone still rings when I call it, and vibrates when I restart the phone, so I presume that it's the screen that the problem?

If anyway has any clues to help me out, that would be much appreciated!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. BrutalUK

BrutalUK Android Enthusiast

Have you tried a hard reset? You can do this in fast boot mode by holding the volume down whilst holding the power button. If your screen works in this mode then let us know. Are you rooted by any chance?

ral likes this.
  3. ord101

ord101 Lurker

Yes, I've tried a hard reset, but it doesn't turn the screen on. And no, the phone isn't rooted.

ral likes this.
  4. BrutalUK

So do you have a blank screen even in fastboot mode? If you do then it seems your LCD screen has a fault, if not then it looks like some kind of software problem as in operating system. Is your phone branded or unbranded or under warranty?

ral likes this.
  5. BrutalUK

Just a thought have you tried turning the phone on without the sim and SD cards in?

6. ral

ral Android Expert

Just wanted to let you all know I am checking in on this thread. Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions on what to do.

7. ord101

ord101 Lurker

No joy restarting the phone without the sim and sd card :(

I went round every mobile phone repair shop on Tottenham Court Road in London this morning, and they all said it is a hardware problem with the screen, and quoted about

8. BrutalUK

9. ord101

ord101 Lurker

Yes, I tried getting into fastboot mode by holding down the volume down and power buttons, but the screen didn't come on.

10. BrutalUK

Well it looks like the LCD is knackered or maybe a loose connection inside the back cover. A replacement LCD costs around

11. richgm

richgm Newbie

If I was the OP and the phone was only just out of warranty I think I would talk to HTC first. Mentioning it's only just out of warranty and good will gesture etc. The worst they can say is no and at best you may get a free repair.
    Got to be worth a try.

D-U-R-X likes this.
  12. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

As richgm says, it is worth a try... my wife's Kindle (the original version, with a keyboard) went south a couple of weeks after the end of the warranty... when I spoke to Amazon, they sorted a replacement straight away (only cost the postage) :)

If they say no, you can always find out how much it would cost to repair with HTC and go with the cheaper of the 2 quotes :D

HTC Desire HD Forum

The HTC Desire HD release date was October 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1230mAh battery.

October 2010
Release Date
Reviews