• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Dhd ram trouble?

Gelato

Lurker
Feb 7, 2011
Hi Guys, I just recently bought my DHD in fact a week ago.. pretty happy with it.. nice phone and all... but i noticed using an app. that the phone only has 650 MB of ram? I mean i know thats alot for a phone.. but Im pretty sure its suppose to have 758MB? 108MB more ram makes quite alot of difference in a device of this size.. so I could get my phone replaced right? thanks in advance :)

I think this is quite usual when talking about memory.
I noticed the same, and I think there are two possible reasons for this:
1. The Android system is reserving the RAM for some special task.
2. When people talk about memory, they are a little bit optimistic. My microSD card is supposed to have 8GB, but my phone says it only has 7,4 GB. I have noticed similar cases other places as well.

Anyway, there is nothing you can do to improve this as far as I know, and 650 MB RAM is about 150 MB more than the iPhone 4 and the Nexus S, so I guess you won't have any troubles :D

Upvote 0
Hi Guys, I just recently bought my DHD in fact a week ago.. pretty happy with it.. nice phone and all... but i noticed using an app. that the phone only has 650 MB of ram? I mean i know thats alot for a phone.. but Im pretty sure its suppose to have 758MB? 108MB more ram makes quite alot of difference in a device of this size.. so I could get my phone replaced right? thanks in advance :)

Do you use stock DHD, or have you altered it (say rooting or something)?

I have had my phone just about 1 month now, and right after a reboot with killing all "start up apps" I still only have just over 400 MB free RAM.

And as the last post says, even though it is stated to have so and so much ram, it us usual to recon that 8-10% of the memory is damaged and not usable when formatting due to various errors. Then deduce the OS reservation of the RAM and "Hey presto" you have lost 20-30% of the supposed RAM you should have.

:) But if you got 650 MB that is more than enough for basically anything you'd wanna do on that phone. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones