1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Diagnosing lock-ups and hard freezes

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by OrangeJuice, Feb 13, 2014.

1. OrangeJuice

OrangeJuice Newbie
    None

Dec 19, 2013
    Occasionally my phone freezes / locks up completely in the middle of something. It will keep showing the screen I was on (and I can't get the screen to turn off) and possibly keep playing whatever sound it was playing (once it froze during an incoming call; it kept ringing like I was being called for 15 minutes or so.) The only way to fix it is to take out the battery; the power button does nothing. The volume switch is similarly unresponsive.

This started about when I got the 4.3 update, but I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to better diagnose what's happening in these hard freezes. For example, it seems to happen quite often with Google Maps, which is particularly inconvenient if I'm trying to get somewhere, but I'm not sure if it's really a problem with Maps or just a coincidence. I have found other threads elsewhere complaining of hard freezes using maps.

Even better than diagnosing, if there's some secret to forcing a hard reset without pulling the battery, that would be great, because I'm a little worried that pulling the battery all the time could be "bad" for my phone.

Advertisement

2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    Just hold in the power button for like 10seconds or more mate and its the same as pulling the battery :thumbup:
    As for the problem, i dont know man. What id do is a factory reset but i know how annoying that can be

OrangeJuice likes this.
  3. OrangeJuice

OrangeJuice Newbie
    None

Dec 19, 2013
    Will definitely try this next time. I think i've tried holding it for like 5 seconds and then got impatient lol

4. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    Yeah its definately longer than 5seconds.
    I think every android has the same thing hard coded into it since most dont have a removable battery. It just forces a hard reboot :thumbup: