• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Dial Tones Disappearing

0837s

Oct 19, 2009
This has been a problem for a couple of months. When the sound is turned off of "silent mode", (so that when the phone rings, you get an actual ringtone), and you dial a call, you can hear the dial tones through the speaker, which is helpful when blindly dialing a number. Well, after putting my phone on silent at my office, turing the sound back on, I have no dial tone sounds when dialing a call out. The tones will randomly come and go, with no rhyme or reason. Its not a huge deal, but when I don't have the audible tones, I have to actually look at the phone to make a call. Just curious if anyone else has had this issue, or knows of a work around to get them back.

The Evo has been very unstable lately...

I just dealt with this issue, along with a few others. After dealing with it for a month, I finally broke down and did a hard reset to my phone yesterday. So far, so good. All is back to normal. I guess its somewhat of an extreme measure but fixed my problems. Being that you're issue comes and goes, it sounds like its within the phone rather than an incorrect setting.

Upvote 0
I just dealt with this issue, along with a few others. After dealing with it for a month, I finally broke down and did a hard reset to my phone yesterday. So far, so good. All is back to normal. I guess its somewhat of an extreme measure but fixed my problems. Being that you're issue comes and goes, it sounds like its within the phone rather than an incorrect setting.

I've done some hard resets on the phone- sometimes the tones come back and disappear shortly after, sometimes they don't show up at all.

Upvote 0
I'm going back to the Sprint corporate sales store tomorrow after work- with the Evo I had been using the past couple of weeks and the replacement unit they sent me today that is stuck in "reboot" mode. I'm 100% sure they will not be able to do anything, because they are not a "service and repair" center- the nearest one is 2 hours away. If they can't, then, I'm switching carriers.

Upvote 0
Ask for the regional managers contact info and call them...from the store. Its what I had to do yesterday. We went through boxes of egos until we fount one with no issues and I left with a new phone. Mention the wells program

No luck. I talked to the tech and store manager about the disappearing tones and the random reboots- they won't do anything, because I have had "too many replacements" (several phones replaced due to a Sprint mistake and provisioning my account to not have voicemail.) Guess its time to pay the insurance deductible and get a new one, or switch carriers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones