• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Dialer Storage taking up a lot of space

G19

Android Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2011
Downloaded instagram and got the annoying "your phone is low on space" message. Clicked the notification and noticed the "dialer storage" app takes up the most space on my phone.

I cannot delete the data for this app so 18.35mb of data is just taking up space. Is there a way to free up this space? I tried deleting call lists and it made no difference.

UPDATE:: Looks like text messages might be contributing. I deleted a few threads and it made a small difference in the space used.

34t7ntc.png

One of the best ways to keep space free on your phone is to go to;

Messaging > Settings:
Delete Old Messages - Ticked
Text Message Limit: 20
Multimedia Message Limit: 20

The default is 200 per person in your contacts. So if you have, for example, 50 people that text you at 200 texts and 200 picture messages per person that's a buttload of space on your phone being eaten. If you set them to 20 each, upon the 21st sent it will delete the oldest one first keeping them at a lower 20 per.

I can't imagine why anyone would wish to save text messages (unless it's for legal/court case reasons), so I would guess that backing them up onto your PC/Lappy or SD card would be a better choice... IMHO.

Reactions: AndyOpie150 and G19
Upvote 0
Took 20 minutes but it finally deleted all of my texts. It may just be coincidence, but my phone feels a hell of a lot less laggy now too. I gained about 20 megs of internal storage. My dialer storage is now 2.26 mb. Not sure why it's still higher than you guys, but I'm ok with it. I also cleared all call logs.

Upvote 0
I bet the mms messages are what made mine so large. I had I think 12k messages.
I have all of my MMS as well as SMS. I don't think that is what is taking up the space. I'm looking at the thread from my wife, which is 2657 messages. We text pictures of Slug Bugs back and forth all the time. I went back as far as I could in GO SMS without loading any more conversations and there were 6 MMS in that.

I just deleted 2 weeks worth of call logs and dialer storage is still at 6.50MB for data.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones