• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dialer wakelock after 4.4.4

I've never seen 'dialer' in settings/battery before and now, after 4.4.4, it's causing a wakelock during calls. It's using a good chunk of battery.

I'm not rooted and have not done a factory reset. I don't want to do a factory reset, especially if others are having the same issue.

I've cleared data, cache, force stopped, rebooted and it comes back.

Edit: I don't use the stock dialer but don't think that matters.

4ygutama.jpg

pysepyju.jpg

Well, I just did 2 factory resets and still have the friggin' wakelock for the dialer. So annoyed right now.

The first one I did I had Google backing everything up so it went pretty quickly (apps installed automatically etc.), got the wakelock issue right off the bat. Stopped having Google backup thinking maybe it was something there and did another reset, manually installed needed apps only. Wakelock still happening. SOB.

I'm going to call Motorola I guess. SOB.

Upvote 0
OK, so here's what I've found. It only happens when I have the phone to my ear. If I use speakerphone I don't get the wakelock and it doesn't register on 'dialer'. If I hold the phone to my ear it does.

Proximity sensors somehow got messed up with the update? I haven't called Moto yet but will.

Anyone have any ideas about it though?

Upvote 0
I'm not 100% sure I know what is meant by wake lock.

On the Droid Maxx there was shoddy support for the proximity sensor and I wanted it to turn the screen off when the sensor was covered and leave the screen on if the sensor was covered while I was making a call.

If you use Tasker ... the profile at ... tlaPocket - turn off in pocket (if call not in progress) ... does this exactly.

... Thom

Upvote 0
What I mean by wakelock is that the dialer keeps the phone awake during a call, that's not supposed to happen (and never did before). It's using twice as much battery than it should.

I know that the dialer was updated with 4.4.4 and I believe that is the crux of my issue, it somehow now isn't reading the proximity sensor and 'disconnecting' as it should when the phone is to my ear.

I do use tasker and will look at the link but somehow don't think that's going to help. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Thom, I just figured out that we are probably talking about 2 different things. I am not talking about the display or the actual dial pad. See the screen print at the top. What is happening is that there is a 'dialer' running and reporting a keep awake time in my battery stats. That only happens when the phone is to my ear. It's not a display thing but a system thing.

Upvote 0
OK. With you.

I personally find all the stock phone apps to be a lot of work and ever changing.

I started using Pixel Phone Pro ($5) a few months ago and it is excellent.

The free version is at ... https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pixelrush.xphonefree&hl=en ... you might give it a try.

The impact on your issue might be interesting.

... Thom

Upvote 0
Oh. Well. I may not have mentioned anywhere that I'm not using the stock dialer. I use, and have been for years with no trouble, Dialer One.

Can you disable the stock dialer and still use Pixel or does it still have to be running? It still has to be running w/Dialer One (so I guess, at some level, I am using the stock dialer. lol).

Upvote 0
It's just broken.

I uninstalled Dialer One (just to be sure it wasn't that) and tried Rocket Dial (because I already used my free Pixel), no change. Uninstalled that and just tried the stock dialer, no change. Reinstalled Dialer One and have come to the above conclusion, it's just broken.

Thanks for giving an old fashioned good college try Thom :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones