• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dialing and Answering phone calls....and cutting off calls...

giajen

Lurker
May 26, 2010
Ohio
I'm having an awful time w/my Eris when it comes to picking up calls and an even worse time dialing out. Everything is delayed after pressing keys. This morning I went to dial someone and when it didn't dial I set the phone down to use my office phone and then out of the corner of my eye I see it was calling the person. Once I had the person on the phone w/in a minute my cheek (I'm assuming) ended the call. So the screen was in the call history list so I pressed his name again to call and it called the next person below on the list. It was probably adding his name to the call history and moved the list but because it was delayed it dialed the wrong person. I love this phone EXCEPT FOR PHONE CALLS. I'm going into Verizon today to complain. They will be able to tell from my call history how frequently I'm missing calls because the phone doesn't pick up and then I redial back. 5 calls back and forth for a 2 minute conversations!!

Also, the vibrate lags with anything phone call related.

Is anyone else having this problem??? I had the same problem before the software update last weekend!

Thanks,
Jen

UPDATE....I went to Verizon yesterday. They definitely could see the problem I was having. They said since it's still under warranty they will replace it with a new phone. They were out of stock in the store so they are shipping it. I was frustrated and said how inconvenient all of this is and asked what it would take to upgrade to the Incredible or the Motorola. She said they were out of those and that even if they had them I wouldn't be able to upgrade unless I paid full retail. She said if I continue to have problems with the new phone at that point they'd consider it. We'll see what happens.

Also, just in response to some comments below...I do not have any audible alerts on :-(

I've been noticing this starting to happen to me lately, only twice... and it's especially bad if you're using your phone to browse around when a call comes in. I've hung up on some pretty important calls this way... (i.e. recruiters, as I'm currently unemployed) and am completely embarrassed to call back and apologize.

Upvote 0
Horrible, mine not only lags, i.e., hitting the 9 key, and it stays stuck on it for 4-5 seconds with a loud tone, before moving onto the next number I hit. But worse, my phone goes thrue episodes of when it wants to dial and connect someone and when it doesnt. I'll call my girlfriend, and the counter will begin, but I will hear nothing, nothing at all, she will pick up and hear nothing. Then she'll call me back, and my phone won't actually ring, but I'll see a new call coming in, I'll answer and recieve the same exact problem, I hear nothing, and neither does she. This will continue until I reboot my phone. This happens daily at least, and I have to reboot each time, the whole episode of missing calls, powering down, and powering up takes about 10 minutes each time. God forbid I'm caught in an emergency. As soon as my life slows down a bit, in the middle of a move, I'm taking the thing into Verizon and bitching. Can't stand this phone, I really do hate it.

Upvote 0
Horrible, mine not only lags, i.e., hitting the 9 key, and it stays stuck on it for 4-5 seconds with a loud tone, before moving onto the next number I hit. But worse, my phone goes thrue episodes of when it wants to dial and connect someone and when it doesnt. I'll call my girlfriend, and the counter will begin, but I will hear nothing, nothing at all, she will pick up and hear nothing. Then she'll call me back, and my phone won't actually ring, but I'll see a new call coming in, I'll answer and recieve the same exact problem, I hear nothing, and neither does she. This will continue until I reboot my phone. This happens daily at least, and I have to reboot each time, the whole episode of missing calls, powering down, and powering up takes about 10 minutes each time. God forbid I'm caught in an emergency. As soon as my life slows down a bit, in the middle of a move, I'm taking the thing into Verizon and bitching. Can't stand this phone, I really do hate it.

Im having the same problem. I call and the counter starts but there is no ring. Cant hear anything and the other person knows Im calling but they cant hear anything either

Upvote 0
I love almost everything about the Eris except the dialer lag is horrible. I can't believe such a cool phone is plagued with it. I also notice it when trying to get the handcent SMS to send a txt. I'm really starting to think about looking for a different phone...if a phone can't be used for its basic functionality then what's the point?

I'm not sure swapping the phone for a new one is going to make much difference. This bug seems to be affecting alot of people. I'm running leak v3. I had the problem before I did the update too, so I know it wasn't introduced in the update.

Has anyone one else had better luck with a new Eris that they swapped for?

Upvote 0
I was having problems with v2 and I was so scared to update the phone to v3 because of all the problems. But I have to say ever since I went to version 3 I had no problems at all. In fact it corrected so many of the problems I had. Apps not working. Internet opening and closing.

Phone is smooth now:D I hope it last

Upvote 0
I just disabled the dialer tones, so we will see what happens, i've also cleared
the call history.

I have had terrible time with dialer lag. Today I tried to get my voicemail and
everytime i tried to put my code in, the lag caused me to be unable to get my
voicemail. It takes so long for a code number to register, you repeat it and then
end up putting in the wrong code once the entire thing you've typed in 'registers'.
This seems to be getting worse and worse.
Also, when I hit "end call' to try to disconnect from a call, it delays so bad that I hit it a second time, and as a result after about 10 seconds it ends up re-dialing the person
i had just attempted to end the call with.

this is really horrifying. why do they put out a phone with these kinds of dialing/lag problems?

Upvote 0
I just disabled the dialer tones, so we will see
Also, when I hit "end call' to try to disconnect from a call, it delays so bad that I hit it a second time, and as a result after about 10 seconds it ends up re-dialing the person
i had just attempted to end the call with.

this is really horrifying. why do they put out a phone with these kinds of dialing/lag problems?

Try the app called Not Call Log. As soon as the hangup happens it takes you back to the home screen instead of leaving you in the dialer. Saved my sanity.

Upvote 0
I disabled the dialer tones the minute I got the phone, which was in mid February. I have found that if I press firmly and hold a little longer on each button when dialing it is a little more responsive.

Does anyone know if this happens if you have the official OTA update to 2.1?

After doing a factory reset just after my OTA update I have minimal lag with the dialer tones on.

Slower, but no complaints. I usually just click the person in my call history, or use voice dial when in the car. It isn't often I call people outside of my phonebook. It has not been an issue on my phone when I have had to actually dial.

I get *some* lag in texts, but run task killer and everything springs back to life, dialing as well.

Edit: I only run on about 60mb of ram.

Upvote 0
the phone and dialer have always been the weakest part of this phone imo. What the OP describes is exactly what I went thru when i first got the phone in November especially in regards to the misdialing. Very frustrating and embarrassing at times. Two apps that have helped me a lot are Not Call Log as Manderle mentioned and also Call Confirm which adds an extra step where you to confirm that is the person you want to call before the call goes thru. A little extra step but really has saved a lot of misdials.

Upvote 0
I've had the dialer problem since the update. At first it was great, but then on day 2 of the new system, dialing sucked! It takes me 3-4 tries to actually make a successful phonecall. The first 2 calls usually end up in me hanging up on a person. Sometimes the call doesn't have the little green call symbol until about 30 seconds after the person is connected, which causes me to think my phone dialer didn't work. Then I hear my purse "talking," because it did go through! Embarrassing..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones