• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dialling a contact using fewer keystrokes

PS I don't know why everyone loves LauncherPro so much because I don't know which home screen I'm even on without the top "bubbles" that touchwiz has, and I can't think of something the free version of LauncherPro does that I'd need.

Menu -> Preferences -> Appearance Settings -> Show screen indicator

Also the "pinch" trick to bring up thumbnails of all your screens is handy, then you just tap the one you want to jump to.

Upvote 0
If I could figure out BT voice dialing that would be the fewest keystrokes.

That is so sorely missed by anyone coming from a Winmo environment who used MS Voice Command. I hate having to touch the phone at all....at least when driving. Pretty much no calls even on blue tooth while driving.

We should be able to hit the button on the BT, and say:

Call Tom Smith at work; or Call Tom Smith...and have it use a default number of the several you have listed for him.

Until that is here, Android is not an ideal 'phone' in my view.

So I'm told that Froyo has that, but the leaked version for the Captivate does not, so I'm sure hoping the real release has it, and at least offers the functionality as I mentioned above. Oh, by the way, I doubt this is there, but it should also repeat back and wait for confirmation;

ME: Call Tom Smith on Mobile
Android: Cal Tom Smith on Mobile?
Me: Yes. (or No).

Without the confirmation, you are still stuck with having to touch the phone, or end up calling the wrong person.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones