• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Did anyone else get a notification about a system update?

Updated this morning, HOWEVER, it changed the keyboard/speaker GUI (which I don't mind, so long it's still working)

BUT~ my email client (stocked) keeps bringing up the same emails and it's getting annoying when I get notified. Any way to stop this???

I'll let y'all know of any more bugs... but for now, the email issue is driving. me. insane. LOL

Upvote 0
Hi All,

I just joined this group today, so its nice to be able to contribute on my first day of group membership, but I just returned from the Samsung website which tells you the status of open source OS updates for your Samsung product I have just downloaded and am planning to install now, the file:"SPH-M950_JB_Opensource.zip" which tells me that I am downloading the JellyBean!

See the above posts (By jimmy422, and James319) for the Open Source download link and the process to get your device to look for, download and auto install the OS upgrade (JellyBean)

GO GET IT!! :)

Steverobbins

Upvote 0
Hi All,

I just joined this group today, so its nice to be able to contribute on my first day of group membership, but I just returned from the Samsung website which tells you the status of open source OS updates for your Samsung product I have just downloaded and am planning to install now, the file:"SPH-M950_JB_Opensource.zip" which tells me that I am downloading the JellyBean!

See the above posts (By jimmy422, and James319) for the Open Source download link and the process to get your device to look for, download and auto install the OS upgrade (JellyBean)

GO GET IT!! :)

Steverobbins

do you need to root the phone before installing JB?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I did that while I had my carrier on another phone and it still didn't work. They have no clue either.

Strange. If nothing else less drastic works then you should do a factory reset, which should take care of it because I can't think it would be a hardware problem if the problem only started after the update.

If the reset doesn't work then at least you're still under warranty since you haven't rooted and can get a replacement sent out to you through customer service. Definitely sucks in the meantime though I'm sure.

Edit: Before you do a factory reset try to move any pictures, videos, music, etc to your external memory card, or upload them to dropbox or transfer them to your PC via USB cable. Anything on the phone will be wiped out to factory original state, but the external card won't be affected. You won't be able to backup any apps because you're not rooted, but you can re-download the apps from the store after resetting, including ones you've already purchased at no additional cost.

Upvote 0
Even so I would not update as anything new(jb given in this case but ics is no different) will kill your batt way faster than whatever was already initially(Froyo and Gingerbread).Why?Newer updates obviously has more features but simultaneously consume more power to use contrasted to forementioned is solely stock equating to little or no additional use.Newer is not always better but given the vast majority and their mindset(s) they will learn the hard way lmfao

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones