• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help did anyone just get a software update text from sprint?...is this for cl14?

Hi:

I got the text at work, before I saw this thread and called Sprint. The rep and the Tech support rep didn't know anything about the Moment. They didn't know anything about the January update, Cl5 or CL14, nothing. I called later and got through to Advanced Tech support. The rep confirmed it was the same update.

Nonetheless, it's pretty shocking how little the reps know.

Tom

Upvote 0
Hi:

I got the text at work, before I saw this thread and called Sprint. The rep and the Tech support rep didn't know anything about the Moment. They didn't know anything about the January update, Cl5 or CL14, nothing. I called later and got through to Advanced Tech support. The rep confirmed it was the same update.

Nonetheless, it's pretty shocking how little the reps know.

Tom
Sprint has over 35 phones they are currently selling (in my area) plus hundreds that were released but not currently selling (but popular enough they still have to offer support on them)... Can't expect them to know everything about every one of these phones....

Upvote 0
They had the nerve to send me this text! I mean really... they should have been like.. oh wait.. we really shouldn't waste that persons time with this

since I can't really tell if you're being sarcastic, I'm just gonna ask... are you being sarcastic? if you are, was it really necessary? being as I did not address you, and i'm far from the first person who was disappointed with the delay & execution of the update. I hope you're not like that in real conversations, cuz i'm pretty sure theres a lot of ppl like me out there who would slap the taste out of your mouth without hesitation. If I was jumping the gun, I'll apologize right now. Just be happy you weren't face to face with me where I could've actually beat the shit out of you and then asked questions later.

Upvote 0
since I can't really tell if you're being sarcastic, I'm just gonna ask... are you being a sarcastic? if you are, was it really necessary? being as I did not address you,

You should read numus's posts. He's one of the resident experts and it was meant to be funny. He's contributed battery meter code to Zeffies replacement kernels.

Upvote 0
You should read numus's posts. He's one of the resident experts and it was meant to be funny. He's contributed battery meter code to Zeffies replacement kernels.

thats why I asked and made sure to pre-apologize just incase I was wrong in my feeling. being how this is all text based, if somebody is trying to be funny, they should really use smiley faces & "lol's" if they're trying to get the "funny" or "just playing" thing across.

Upvote 0
thats why I asked and made sure to pre-apologize just incase I was wrong in my feeling. being how this is all text based, if somebody is trying to be funny, they should really use smiley faces & "lol's" if they're trying to get the "funny" or "just playing" thing across.

I seem to remember using a smiley when responding to one of your posts and you weren't very amused. But that's water under the bridge, right? :D:rolleyes::p:eek:

Upvote 0
I got a text from Sprint directing me to a link for the update. <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:&quot;&quot;; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;; mso-fareast-font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} span.blackbtext {mso-style-name:blackbtext;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> Technical Specifications: Dated: 2/19/2010
Software Version: (Baseband version) S:M900.8.0S.CL14
USB Driver Removal Instructions (310KB),Update Instructions (2MB),Download (84MB)

My computer isn't working so I just called tech support and they did the update over the phone. No sweat! I backed up my data first to "MyBackup App" and loaded all my apps to "APP Referrer APP" and email them to me.
[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0
Sprint has over 35 phones they are currently selling (in my area) plus hundreds that were released but not currently selling (but popular enough they still have to offer support on them)... Can't expect them to know everything about every one of these phones....

I would never expect them to know everything. But...I would expect them to be able to look this stuff up! We are dealing with a company on the bleeding edge of technology and for some reason none of the Tech's are able to navigate a computer database and look up software release information??

Whether or not it is the Tech's fault or Sprint's system it really is rediculous how incompetent their techs come across.

Upvote 0
Help! This is the biggest thread that I've found on the update topic, especially the glitches mentioned. I have run into a problem that I can't seem to figure out. I finally manage to get all the way to the download screen, but when I click the download button it displays a message "e - dll cannot open the usb serial port. code: 87" Luckily the phone worked fine after I restarted it, just the way it was before, but I am unable to update it. I am running Windows Vista. If anyone could shed some light it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You'll want to make sure a couple settings on your phone are checked:

From the home screen, go to Menu|Settings|Applications|Development

Then check the USB Debugging and Stay awake checkboxes.

That error should go away and your phone should happily update. :)

Good luck to you!

Upvote 0
Very frustrating. Since I received the text last week:

-realized I couldn't do it myself I wanted to because I own a MAC
-called every Sprint store near me to find only "repair" stores can do it
-drove to one that said, "yeah, come on" in to find their ISS-machine was broken
-drove to another one (at which they previously informed me I could do this over the air, which was denied by Sprint customer service). They kept the phone for 1.5 hours, when I got it back I thought it odd all my apps were still there, etc. as my reading on this forum indicated this would not be the case.
- checked the version and realized I still do not have the update.

Upvote 0
You'll want to make sure a couple settings on your phone are checked:

From the home screen, go to Menu|Settings|Applications|Development

Then check the USB Debugging and Stay awake checkboxes.

That error should go away and your phone should happily update. :)

Good luck to you!

This time I updated to 2.1 Eclair:

I Checked the USB Debugging and Allow mock locations checkboxes and unchecked the stay awake option in the same location as above and that pesky dll 87 error went away and it updated. Maybe those settings will work for you too.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones