1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Did Apple Really

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by phandroid, Apr 20, 2011.

1. phandroid

phandroid Admin News Bot
    None

Apr 12, 2008
    Take a look at this picture. Take a good look at it. On the right? an iPhone. (I’m not sure which revision, really.They all look the same to me.) On the left? Well that’s a little fellow from Samsung known as the Samsung F700. That phone was announced in 2006 and released in February 2007. [...]

More...

Advertisement

2. nigsy

nigsy Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    Oracle Consultant
    Devon
    Brilliant!!

3. Shocky

Shocky On Probation
    None

Jun 20, 2010
    /me thinks of all the people that keep saying the Galaxy S looks like an iPhone :mad:

jroc likes this.
  4. LoyalServant

LoyalServant Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Male
    Programmer
    Columbia, SC
    Guess it looks like the other way around.
    I can't say I am surprised by this at all.

I have encountered fanboys that say that the iPhone was copied by everyone, that it had the first touch screen, first FFC, etc....
    NOT.

Now that it appears that their beloved was a copy itself... who knows.

jroc likes this.
  5. jroc

jroc Android Expert
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    As expected this is a highly heated topic around the net.

Obviously, for the Apple, iPhone fanboys the lawsuit was comical. "The end of Android" was uttered yet again.

Panties are in a tight bunch now over the F700...

Fanboyism is a disease.

CyberPitz and Shocky like this.
  6. Bnice

Bnice Guest
    None
    I would like to know what apple invented that wasn't already in existence with cell phones.? A phone looking pretty doesn't count..

7. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Android Expert
    None

Jan 21, 2011
    QA Admin
    SoCal
    Just the iOS...not much.
    Apple stole Xerox's musical interface and mouse ideas.

8. MyNamesTooLong

MyNamesTooLong Android Expert
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    This is just silly...there are only so many designs for phones and interfaces if one doesnt wanna reinvent the wheel, then of course there will be some resemblance

9. jroc

jroc Android Expert
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    Looking at what Apple is suing for....its wild. They either want everyone else to have radically different designs than the iPhone, or want to be compensated if the design looks even remotely like....a touchscreen only phone.

And it seems like they want ppl to use different pictures or icons to represent whats on the phone.

Lets give Apple the Galaxy S and the Meizu phone from last year that looked alot more like the iPhone. They look iPhonish, fine. (The Meizu case was lost on some patent technicality. That might help Samsung.)

It seems like they wanna patent rectangles and rounded corners for phones, and specific pictures for icons. Whoever wins it will be interesting the aftermath.

10. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Android Expert

Jan 24, 2011
    Microsoft did try to patent "Windows" - Didn't Apple try to patent Apple and Mac?
    Maybe my Galaxy does look like an Iphone, but it sure doesn't behave like one.

11. Tanders04

Tanders04 Lurker
    None

Apr 21, 2011
    You all know that this is 100% false, right?

12. Tanders04

Tanders04 Lurker
    None

Apr 21, 2011

That is also not correct.

These are design patents. There is nothing to with licensing or anything like that. Its all about trade dress. The question being asked is if there could be consumer confusion between an iPhone and any of Samsung's phones because of the similarities. Of course there isn't a chance of that either.

13. Bomfy

Bomfy Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    Reminds me of an interview years ago with Trey Parker and Matt Stone, the creators of South Park. They were asked about the complaints they steal material from The Simpsons. One of them said that there are shows that came before The Simpsons that stole from them.

14. AustinTech

AustinTech Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    Alpharetta, GA (ATL)
    LOL, but those are iCorners and iIcons!!! You can't use them!

Seriously, rounded corners and rectangles is what this suit is all about. Nevermind the phone is completely different and has a different overall size, including the screen size, which is much larger.

Samsung has fired back. They filed 10 lawsuits against Apple for patent infringment.

I thought Samsung made a bunch of parts for the iPhone?

15. Bnice

Bnice Guest
    None
    But it was first shown in 2006 . Now let's move forward, their is room enough for both android and ios.

jroc likes this.
  16. .Johnathan

.Johnathan Newbie
    None

Apr 24, 2011
  17. jroc

jroc Android Expert
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    ^Yea I go with it being shown after the iPhone was announced too.

A month after. Which to me means it has to have a base design even if it gets redesigned and be ready to show a month after the iPhone is announced.

From the AndroidCommunity article:

At least Android Comminuity does realize a phone cant be thrown together in a month, unlike some of the pro Apple sites I visted since all this news came out.

Who copied who? Who knows. Maybe no one and they both had similar ideas around the same time. For some reason, some ppl think Apple is the only company that can take the time to develop a phone, and other companies makes phones in a month.

I know one thing, the LG Prada was announced at least 6 months before the iPhone, even released at least 3 months before. But that lil tidbit of info always gets swept to the forums, or Apple, iPhone fanboys say they had spies. A review, preview of the Prada done in Dec 2006: (Its in another language)

http://www.mobilport.hu/hirek/20061215/a_vilag_legkulonlegesebb_csokimobilja/

The Prada has FCC filings dated Oct 2006. To be fair the FCC filing for the iPhone is dated Oct 2006 too, a couple of weeks before the Prada. There is something we dont know about where these phones actually got their inspirations. Maybe one day we will know the truth.

18. Bnice

Bnice Guest
    None
  19. JustKnowz

JustKnowz Lurker
    None

Apr 24, 2011
    Well here it goes... this is my dilemma... Ive been doing research because I'm looking to get a new phone and I'm deadlocked between the iPhone and the LG - GX2 from T-Moblie. I have a Mac Book Pro so people have told me to get an iPhone becuase of compatability. At the same time, I have no need to have my phone and computer "synced" with one another. My big issue is the $$$ I have to pay to AT&T for internet data use.. like $25 monthly and IT IS NOT UNLIMITED. T-mobile offers me unlimited talk, text and internet with their monthly package. I've heard a lot of bad things about Droid phones, but obviously from iPhone enthusiasts. Do apps run well on Droid? Will I be at a disadvantage? I 'm racking my brain here people... please give me some advice... thank you :D

20. cds0699

cds0699 Android Expert
    None

May 22, 2010
    Shenandoah Jct WV
    Apps run very well on Android. Android is a very comparable competitor with Apple and the iPhone... and they both have their ups and downs obviously, but both very good products. Look into Android more, and get all the FACTS and experience both (go into a phone store and get some hands on with an Android phone as well as an iPhone), and compare all the features of both and cost of both before making the decision as to which phone and OS is right for you.

21. Colchicine

Colchicine Android Expert
    None

Just a heads up, this thread is about the lawsuits between Apple and Samsung. Not only will you get more and better reponses by creating your own thread, but it will help to keep this thread less convoluted.

22. Knewz

Knewz Android Expert
    None

Oct 22, 2010
    Tech
    Georgia
    poor apple. I bet they feel like the kid in the corner of the sandbox nobody wants to play with because he keeps stealing their crayons.