1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Did I brick it?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by GlennT, Feb 17, 2011.

1. GlennT

GlennT Newbie
    None

Nov 19, 2009
    retired
    south central MS
    Last week I rooted my hero (cellular south) and flashed AOSP 2.2.1 (12/10/2010) and all was fine. Saw the buzz about the AOSP 2.3.2 (02/10/2011) ROM and decided to try it, and it worked pretty well for several days, but there was the GPS issue as well as a few random restarts and I decided to go back to the 2.2.1 (Froyo) and stay until the GB was worked out.
    I did the wipes and flashed the Froyo ROM, immediately followed by the GAPPS zip. Rebooted and all seemed well. Signed in to Google and my apps were syncing. Several app downloads had completed and suddenly the screen went dead. I

Advertisement

2. MahaloCat

MahaloCat Android Expert
    None

Aug 3, 2010
    Honolulu
    Sounds Like a dead battery -

Plug it in....leave it be for twenty minutes then Try again.

What you did....will not brick your phone.

Curious...why did you not back a Nandroid of your FroYo Rom before Flashing GB?

3. GlennT

GlennT Newbie
    None

Nov 19, 2009
    retired
    south central MS
    Ignorance I guess.
    Had a Nandroid of the stock phone and didn't want to lose it...

4. JB in AZ

JB in AZ Android Expert
    None

Oct 27, 2009
    Florida
    Try plugging it in to the charger and see if it charges. And see if the amber charging light comes on. Do you have an extra battery to try? There have been some reports of batteries just dying recently.

EDIT: Mahalo beat me to it.

5. GlennT

GlennT Newbie
    None

Nov 19, 2009
    retired
    south central MS
    The amber light is on. It was on my mobile charger when it went dead... I was in my truck. Now it's on the AC charger. I do have another battery that I can try.

6. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Android Expert
    None

May 29, 2010
    Senior Software Engineer
    Wilmington, Delaware
    Decent quality batteries can actually be found on eBay surprisingly. A friend of mine got a couple on eBay and he said they have been lasting as long as the stock battery with no ill effects to his Sprint HTC Hero.

Just do your research and make sure the seller has a good reputation. You can also check out third party battery sellers like Seidio, but they will be more costly.

7. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Android Expert
    None

May 29, 2010
    Senior Software Engineer
    Wilmington, Delaware
    Yeah, the DC charger in a car might not be providing enough juice to keep a positive flow of charge going while performing other tasks. Downloading and installing a bunch of apps at once is quite taxing on the battery.

It is basically charging at the same speed as a USB port on your PC would. That is to say, less than half the amps a regular AC adapter provides because a DC port just does not provide the same amount of juice as a wall outlet unless it actually says 120 volts.

8. GlennT

GlennT Newbie
    None

Nov 19, 2009
    retired
    south central MS
    Apparently that was the problem. I was in the middle of the procedure and when I rebooted my battery warning light came on. The power was off because they are changing out some poles on this line, so I went out to the truck and plugged it into the DC charger. Must have just used more than it was getting and eventually died. After being on the AC for a few minutes it's back up and downloading apps...
    Thanks guys for the reassurance.

Tags: