• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Did I just brick my daughter's Replenish?

crosspatch

Mar 17, 2012
Not a good day for me, it seems. I was trying to follow this guide to root my daughter's Replenish.

I carried out step 3 and, after powering on while holding Shift + P, was on the yellow-text "Downloading..." screen.

On step 5, I found the "One Package" button was greyed out, so I could not continue following the instructions. (I did have the proper TAR file in place... I'm going short on details because I'm not looking for help on the rooting process--I'm hoping I can simply use the phone again.)

The power button did nothing, so I did a battery pull. Now, the phone will not power on at all. Dead. As if it didn't have a battery installed. (Yes, I did put the battery back in!)

I've created an account on XDA, but the site won't let me post--at all, anywhere. Period. No idea why. I've activated the account.

Oh please, someone tell me I can recover this! Although, I have no idea how that would even be possible, given the circumstances. :frown:

hello cross

I have used odin a few times for my sisters droid charge (not the same phone, or method)

I am currently trying to find the image files for stock gingerbread so you can flash back and be safe for the time being

now from what i know the package on xda is a good package to use, what i would suggest you do, when you extract the odin files
do not run odin yet

plug your phone in, and move the su.zip or super user zip to the root of your sd card, power off the device and unplug your phone from pc
then enter into the download mode....
power + space + p??? or shift + p while holding power, not sure which one will get you to download mode

when your in download mode plug your phone in to your pc
then start odin

uncheck all the options
and only check
"One Package"
and
"Protect OPS"
the OPS is inside the Odin zip

and make sure you put it in the ops section

the .tar should go in 1 package.
now from here make sure your phone is seen in odin under com1 or 9 or whatever it will be
hit start
AND DO NOT UNPLUG! WAIT FOR IT TO FINISH!
it might reboot on its own, if it does make sure you are holding down the "U" key
and now you are in CWM, navigate to install zip from sdcard, locate the superuser.zip you can find one here:
[Root Method] Samsung Replenish Android 2.3.6 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
that seems to be a better form of superuser
and then hit back and reboot.

you should gain root now, and simply just install busybox from the market

Upvote 0
Now hang on there, Crosspatch. If I understand you correctly, you put the phone into download mode (yellow triangle screen), plugged in the phone, launched Odin, but never pressed the "start" button in Odin? If that's the case, you haven't done anything to the phone. Nothing gets written until you hit start.

Try this, take the battery out for a few minutes and let the phone sit. Then replace the battery, plug it in and see if you can boot into recovery by holding the Volume Down button, Call and End until "Samsung" appears on the screen along with a menu. You may have to hold these buttons for up to 20 seconds so be patient. If you get there, do NOT master reset the device, that will wipe all your data off the phone. Choose reboot and see if that gets the phone operational.

Upvote 0
I left the battery out overnight last night... And just now, the Replenish started up fine. These things are weird. Yesterday, that thing would not spring to life for anything.

THANK YOU for all the replies! Thank you Unforgiven, ApolloStar2109, VoidedSaint, and of course lunatic59. Sorry to have taken anyone's time with this, but I really thought I was in trouble here. I have long known that the Replenish makes you hold the power button down for a good few seconds to cold start, so that wasn't it. No idea!

Wow... What a couple days I've had with devices. Today I tried installing an official Motorola update, and now my Photon is in a boot loop! (But that's a matter for another thread... If I don't smash it under my boot!)

Upvote 0
I left the battery out overnight last night... And just now, the Replenish started up fine. These things are weird. Yesterday, that thing would not spring to life for anything.

THANK YOU for all the replies! Thank you Unforgiven, ApolloStar2109, VoidedSaint, and of course lunatic59. Sorry to have taken anyone's time with this, but I really thought I was in trouble here. I have long known that the Replenish makes you hold the power button down for a good few seconds to cold start, so that wasn't it. No idea!

Wow... What a couple days I've had with devices. Today I tried installing an official Motorola update, and now my Photon is in a boot loop! (But that's a matter for another thread... If I don't smash it under my boot!)

Glad to hear you are all set. Post a link here or PM me a link to your thread on your Moto. I have at least bricked one of those and recovered it so I may be more helpful there.:D
-Pup

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones