1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Did my Evo just die?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hpguru, Aug 11, 2012.

1. hpguru

hpguru Newbie

I had it on the charger that came with it while I was on the computer. When I checked it the led had gone out and now it will not turn on again. I tried reseating the battery twice.

Any ideas?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. qu4ttro

qu4ttro Well-Known Member

Try holding volume down and power to see if it will boot to recovery.

3. pinocytosis

pinocytosis Member

if you have another battery, try that?

I've have my evo randomly turn off twice now, and the only way to get it back was to do a battery pull. still scares me :/

4. hpguru

hpguru Newbie

I tried that but the phone doesn't respond at all. I pulled the battery for 10 minutes as well. Still won't turn on. I am running the stock rom btw.

I purchased this from RS over a month ago so I doubt they will take it back. What do I need to do to get it replaced?

5. joshua8790

joshua8790 Member

Call Virgin Mobile and report that, being it's under one year, they will ask you to try some stuff, and then eventually they should offer you a free replacement. The replacements usually come in 1-3 business days. With the replacement you get a new in box phone, and return envelope. Had to do this at least 3 times with my old Triumph.

hpguru likes this.
  6. hpguru

hpguru Newbie

Thanks I'll try that.

7. sinean

sinean Newbie

Most likely its a bad battery.

raynoldsk likes this.
  8. hpguru

hpguru Newbie

I just got off the phone with tech support and they are sending me a new phone in 2 to 3 business days. I am a little worried that the support agent might send the wrong phone because she kept referring to it as the Evo and I had to ask her to clairify it was the Evo V 4G twice.

Hopefully it comes sooner than she said because I'm looking for a 2nd job and I used my mobile number on all the applications I submitted. :(

9. raynoldsk

raynoldsk Android Enthusiast

That would be my guess, too. When you get the new phone, get a spare battery and have it handy.

10. pinocytosis

pinocytosis Member

Well there's only one evo on virgin mobile right now, which is the evo v 4g. as long as she sends an evo, i think you'll be ok. Hope the new phone/battery works like it should!

11. hpguru

hpguru Newbie

The tech support agent said if it won't boot up on the charger then it is the phone and not the battery. Oh and I think I will be getting a refurb rather than a new phone because she told me to remove the battery and the SDcard from the old phone and to return only the phone.

12. hchen42

hchen42 Well-Known Member

Just curious, when you plug into the charger, does it show charging/full charge (ie, green/red led at top of the phone)? If there is, I am 99% sure it's a battery. I had this problem too at work. I called from work and VM sent me another phone. When I got back home, I put in a spare battery and it turned on. I had to send the refurb phone back to VM and ask them to resend the battery.

13. hpguru

hpguru Newbie

No the LED doesn't come on at all. There is nothing to indicate the phone is working.

Just out of curiocity what condition was the refurb in? I'm worried about getting one with a scratched or scuffed screen or worse since the refurb was likely someone else's problem.

14. hchen42

hchen42 Well-Known Member

Ok, I guess you have a bad phone then.

The refurb one I received was virgin mobile branded. It looks "brand new". No scratch, no scuffs.

15. hpguru

hpguru Newbie

It came today and is now charging. Mine is also VM branded. Hope I don't go through activation hell again like I did with the Sprint branded phone.

The screen has a screen protector on it. It doesn't appear to be scratched. I'll post again once it up and running.

16. hpguru

hpguru Newbie

The phone is working now. I had a trivial issue in activation due to the Swap Phones form on VM's site not working but a CSR activated it within minutes of calling. Thanks to everyone who commented.

Not sure if it's worth noting but the PRL version is 61008 with no update available while the phone that died had PRL version 61009.