1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Did my new Galaxy S come with a dodgy Camera?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Splendid, May 11, 2011.

1. Splendid

Splendid Lurker
    None

May 11, 2011
    I just bought a new, sealed unit a few days ago. The last remaining stock left over in Aus. As soon as I turned on the camera I quickly realised something was not right.

I know they never had excellent image quality to begin with, but mine is just, way, messier than what I have seen in others.

My friend has had a galaxy S GT I9000 since about launch.
    I had only used his one once or twice and maybe looked at the camera view for a total of 10-15 seconds in that entire time , but that was enough for me to spot that mine seems to be a dud when i got it.

Is this common of the newer model/last remaining stock?
    Or should I try replace it for another one?

It seems about 30-40% worse in general. :eek:

I made sure to first reset and then check all camera settings.

The results seem consistent.

Mine
    [​IMG]

His

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Mine
    [​IMG]

His

[​IMG]

Mine

[​IMG]

His

[​IMG]

Advertisement

2. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    Looks more like a software problem to me. Is your friend's phone using the same firmware?

3. Splendid

Splendid Lurker
    None

May 11, 2011
    It was like this brand new sealed out of the box. I did nothing to it. Its running stock Vodaphone 2.2.
    Could it really be a software problem? I even reset the phone. Same problem.

Yes everything is the same.

Looks more like a hardware difference to me.

Anyway I just spoke to the retailer where I signed up to a contract from and they said, the camera looks fine to me. He took a few photos and said it was all in order.

It seems they would only consider replacing it is if the camera doesn't work at all?

Isn't there a level of quality control?

The retailer said if we send it of for repairs they will just inspect it, say its fine and return the same one to you again, just in worse condition.

I'm not sure how warranty works but I'm pretty sure if something is working to a significantly lower standard you should be able to get it fixed?

Should I try to contact Samsung directly for the warranty and see what they say?

I went under a contract so I do not own the phone outright.

Does that still qualify me for going straight to samsung?

And who would I contact in Autralia?

I dont want to send the unit away just to get the same one again.

I am not even using the phone its just sitting there I am so dissapointed with the camera.

4. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    Factory reset won't achieve anything. The camera is controlled by stock apps, which is in the /system partition. Nothing short of flashing a new firmware will modify that partition.

Try downloading a 3rd party camera app off the market. There are quite a few free ones out there. See if the quality improves.

5. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 16, 2010
    Yeah deifnately looks like a software issue rather than a hardware one. Check the firmware version on yours and your friends phone. Try Kies to see if there is a new version of firmware avaliable as well. To be honest it is not uncommon for 2 different cameras to be calibrated slighly differently anyway. It just looks a bit darker than the other on,

6. Splendid

Splendid Lurker
    None

May 11, 2011
    I dont think its calibration because no matter what you do, there is a loss of detail, not just exposure, color and lighting.
    There is extra noise etc. I've tried playing around with the settings and they of course they change the picture, just like they do on every galaxy S, but the noise and loss of detail follows along with it.

Look at the purple carbet, mine just looks like its cell shaded and theres very little detail/clarity, whereas his phone shows all the strands individually. They are much more crisp. Not to mention the color/lighting is also spot on and threes very little noise.
    I think what the software does is try make up for the fact the camera is deivering a poor image, and turns up the iso and changes color balance etc.

I'm more interested if this qualifies for a warranty or replacement. Like I said I am not even using the phone, as 90% of the reason was for the camera upgrade. At the moment its worse/the same as all my old 1.3-5mp phones from 5 years ago.

It seems consistent across the range that its worse than other galaxy S's Ive seen.

2.2 Is the latest update for my vodaphone version. I think.

7. rayhipkiss

rayhipkiss Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 20, 2011
    Male
    UK
    Sorry to ask a silly question but, have you taken the protective sticker off the lens cover?

8. Splendid

Splendid Lurker
    None

May 11, 2011
    yes, protective film is off.

It simply reminds of dud camera. I've had this before with cheap webcams, the same model diff picture. It depends on the manufacture process.