1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Did root mess up my 3g connection?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by usadaytrader, Aug 15, 2012.

1. usadaytrader

usadaytrader Newbie

I rooted my LTE the second day of the release. My 3g connection has been unreliable at times. Even at my house where the OGEVO had no problems. I unrooted it to take back to Sprint, and it seems to be behaving better than before.

Is there any chance root was messing up my 3g connection, or should I just exchange the phone still?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Did you have sprint test the radio?

Rooting should not mess with the radio connections at all. Are you S-OFF or unlocked?

Also, Sprint is in the middle of a huge network rehaul, so it may be side effects of that. That would explain why your OG evo had signal

Granite1 likes this.
  3. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

I've had consistent 1+ to almost 2 Mbps downloads on Sprint 3g for two years.

Last two weeks, I've been all over the map, from 300 kbps down to above 2 Mbps.

I'd say it was Sprint, unless you had a bad rom install or a crappy rom.

If all you did was root stock, then all you did was add the same thing as Admin privileges on a PC - that won't affect radios, not a bit.

If you did the update to your phone after the last OTA, something may not have been done right, that involved radio updates along with the rom - the two go hand-in-hand.

Granite1 likes this.
  4. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :)

Yeah, that blows me away, i have to be on 4g to get that and I hardly ever am.

5. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer

I've also had in consistent data speeds. In Youngstown OH /Boardman OH poop. Less than 1meg. 10 miles south in North Lima, 1.5megs down. They're obviously working on the towers around Youngstown.

At home its hit or miss, but overall its been as good as the OG EVO for me.

Download the app Open Signal Maps, and see what your signal is like / doing when you have issues.

I've also been rooted since it was out. ;)

6. windsorclarenc

windsorclarenc Android Enthusiast

Oh that explains why my speeds have varied so much. I live in about the same area.

7. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer

10-4, I'm just working here for the time being. It gets worse the further I venture into Youngstown. I'm thinking its tower upgrades near the city. My hotel is down by the turnpike and speeds are consistently good. They must have done those towers first because of all the travelers at that exit possibly. Purely conjecture on my part. :)

Point is, rooting won't mess with your signal unless you flash something specific to change your PRL or radios.

8. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

And even then, that may not be a problem.

Granite1 likes this.

HTC EVO 4G LTE Forum

The HTC EVO 4G LTE release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Plus processor, and 2000mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews