• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Did the March OTA/firmware improve anything?

Did the March OTA/firmware improve anything?

• Total voters
You would have to first flash JBear 1.58.58 right after upgrading to 2.95 to give you fastboot commands, because Jbear 1.50.50 would cause the stock rom not to boot. Then you can flash a custom recovery such as 4ext (recommended) and TWRP 2. AFter that, you can flash a rom that could run on all hboots such as Negalite Blurom. Then you can flash Jbear 1.50.50 through bootloader.
That depends on how you install the 2.95 OTA updates.

If you flash the firmware zip file it doesn't change the hboot or the ROM so you should be fine keeping what you have for those although a couple of people have gotten boot loops after updating. Those were both with CM 10.1 ROM's installed so I think it's more the ROM than the firmware.

Flashing the RUU and then taking the OTA's will automatically return both the bootloader (hboot) and ROM to stock so there should be no problem booting once that process is complete, but the hboot will need to be downgraded before flashing and booting a GB or AOSP based ROM.

ramjet73

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
Flashing the RUU and the OTA's will always be a better method than just flashing the firmware zip file since that's the way the upgrades were intended to be installed. I made the zip for those that were already on the November OTA or had installed that firmware and that may be part of the variation in results.

Did everyone who flashed just the firmware zip file already install the firmware from the November OTA?

ramjet73

The method itself may be better, but is the end-result any different? Is there anything different afterwards that makes the RUU style better than the .zip style?

Upvote 0
The method itself may be better, but is the end-result any different? Is there anything different afterwards that makes the RUU style better than the .zip style?
Flashing an RUU is always a more complete update that just flashing bits and pieces of firmware although that's essentially what the OTA's are doing.

If you previously flashed the RUU and then the OTA firmware zips you will probably get better results than someone who has been using radios and other firmware not designed for the Evo V but it's still best to be on the firmware from the November OTA before flashing the most recent update zip file.

ramjet73

Upvote 0
Flashing the RUU and the OTA's will always be a better method than just flashing the firmware zip file since that's the way the upgrades were intended to be installed. I made the zip for those that were already on the November OTA or had installed that firmware and that may be part of the variation in results.

Did everyone who flashed just the firmware zip file already install the firmware from the November OTA?

ramjet73

Can we run the RUU if S-Off, and still get the OTA Updates?

Also, I'm 1.04 ENG and running Midnight J. Should we be on stock ROMs for flashing your zip?

I'm not sure if I ever even went through with the November OTA... :thinking:

Upvote 0
I flashed the RUU to recover from a nasty boot loop/soft brick. After that I took the two OTA's, then rooted. Eventually I wound up with Jbear hboot 1.58.58.58 on the theory that it would be closest to stock. The phone was already S-Off. There is nothing unusual about the set up. Bloat is disabled and things that can be replaced from Play deleted. It runs really well, so well that I am inclined to not go back to a custom rom.

That such a major update was released so late in the product cycle does tend to make one wonder why. The connection optimizer is intended to reduce 3G traffic by offloading to WiFi, but that did not need a 50 MB OTA. There are benefits to HTC having a greater conformity between the 3D and the V 4G as support costs are reduced. However, I think the real reason for the effort is that HTC recently settled a class action lawsuit regarding bugs in the Thunderbolt and they were probably afraid of similar issues with our phones. Likewise, VM and Sprint could have complained they were fielding too many support requests or returns.

Upvote 0
It may be in my head, but it seems like 4G doesn't connect as soon as it is able to. I recall being in 4G a lot...so I figure it scans for signal often, and switches to 4G whenever there's signal.

Would this be controlled by the firmware?

I recall in my OG EVO days, I went into the radio settings using those dial codes and my MSL unlock. I was able to change the time between scans as well as the minimum signal required to connect to 4G.

I've long since forgotten the steps taken to do this. Can someone refresh my memory? Also, I suppose I would have to flash a stock ROM...do you think Negalite's stock ROM would work to get me into the MSL area?

Upvote 0
It may be in my head, but it seems like 4G doesn't connect as soon as it is able to. I recall being in 4G a lot...so I figure it scans for signal often, and switches to 4G whenever there's signal.

Would this be controlled by the firmware?

I recall in my OG EVO days, I went into the radio settings using those dial codes and my MSL unlock. I was able to change the time between scans as well as the minimum signal required to connect to 4G.

I've long since forgotten the steps taken to do this. Can someone refresh my memory? Also, I suppose I would have to flash a stock ROM...do you think Negalite's stock ROM would work to get me into the MSL area?

You can access EPST with Negalite BluRom. Not sure if any changes you make will stick though.

Reactions: Palmetto Fellow
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones