• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Did you buy your phone from Verizon for more than $20?

Wavern

Lurker
Mar 28, 2010
I'm not sure what the rules state about prices and such here so mods feel free to delete this if it shouldn't be here.

I bought my phone from a store for $200 a few weeks back after talking them down from $300. I was feeling pretty good about that until I read on here a few days ago that Walmart has it for $20. I called them up this morning and told them I was feeling a bit ripped off. Yeah I know it's not their fault but since I was within my 30 day return period I was thinking of starting from scratch and recouping some of those savings. Carla from Verizon was very helpful in answering all of my questions and eventually explained how I can go about returning my phone and being ready to start over again in a Walmart store.

A few minutes after I got off the phone, she called me and told me that her manager approved a $180 credit to my account to make up for the price difference. Obviously I was quite pleased.

So if any of you are in the same boat, I guess it doesn't hurt to give it a try. :)

Reactions: global2 and melmigs
I got mine for $199 (plus tax)...

I have friends who have purchased them from Amazon and Walmart for $20. Good for them. I'm happy more Droids are getting out there. BTW, if the OP would have looked around when he/she bought his/her phone, he could have purchased it for $50-$100...Lack of research led to you paying the higher price...Just sayin...

Yeah, the price is falling like crazy and that is due to Verizon. Verizon isn't really giving a crap if they lose money on the actual phone...they get you for 24 months on an expensive data plan (worth the price IMO...but damn verizon is expensive).

Interesting read about the success of the droid. Estimated 700K-800K in droid sales...in 5 MONTHS!...that's incredible!

Big marketing budget drives Moto Droid sales — 40mainstreetusa.com

Upvote 0
BTW, going off of the 700,000 number and a minimum voice + data plan...it represents a total revenue stream of $587,832,000 per year.

Non-contract price of the droid is around $500-$600? Verizon doesn't pay that much...so you can see why they have dropped the price. The nexus one for verizon will not have this much appeal IMO...I think they are taking it while they can and getting people on board...even if they have to give away droids.

Upvote 0
I got mine for $199 (plus tax)...

I have friends who have purchased them from Amazon and Walmart for $20. Good for them. I'm happy more Droids are getting out there. BTW, if the OP would have looked around when he/she bought his/her phone, he could have purchased it for $50-$100...Lack of research led to you paying the higher price...Just sayin...

Yes, I realize it's my fault and not their's. I mentioned that in my post. :) If I had traveled a quarter of a mile I could have paid $20 .. I was just happy that Verizon was so cool about crediting me what I could have saved .. they didn't have to and I thought it was awesome that they did. And I thought it'd be good to share that here in case others are in the same situation and can maybe get the same deal. :)

Upvote 0
what's the cheapest i can get a droid for if i'm not starting a new contract but renewing another 2 year contract?

hoping to move from a droid eris to a moto droid soon and wanted to know how much i could be paying, im on a family plan and we're all renewing for 24 more months.

Upvote 0
what's the cheapest i can get a droid for if i'm not starting a new contract but renewing another 2 year contract?

hoping to move from a droid eris to a moto droid soon and wanted to know how much i could be paying, im on a family plan and we're all renewing for 24 more months.

Wirefly and Walmart (online, NOT in store) were the cheapest I found.

Upvote 0
DAMNIT! I didn't really do any research (like I ALWAYS do) b/c I just assumed that since it was so new that you couldn't find it anywhere for that cheap... but yea I just saw it at amazon for 19.99 with a 2 year plan... I just paid 199.99 3 days ago. Although, I was only 6 months into my old plan and just started over without any extra charges from my old plan (in other words my old plan was "erased" and I started from scratch")

Upvote 0
DAMNIT! I didn't really do any research (like I ALWAYS do) b/c I just assumed that since it was so new that you couldn't find it anywhere for that cheap... but yea I just saw it at amazon for 19.99 with a 2 year plan... I just paid 199.99 3 days ago. Although, I was only 6 months into my old plan and just started over without any extra charges from my old plan (in other words my old plan was "erased" and I started from scratch")

Then you shouldn't feel bad...that's not a bad deal. I paid $400 for 2 phones (in November) and have zero buyer's regret...glad I didn't wait cause I have enjoyed my phone so damn much! :D In a month...you won't miss that $200 so don't dwell on it...you made out alright! ;)

Upvote 0
Then you shouldn't feel bad...that's not a bad deal. I paid $400 for 2 phones (in November) and have zero buyer's regret...glad I didn't wait cause I have enjoyed my phone so damn much! :D In a month...you won't miss that $200 so don't dwell on it...you made out alright! ;)

.. but this is why I started the thread... for people like this. If you're nice and get someone from Verizon that'll try to help you, you can get $180 credit back to your account. Sure, it's worth $200... but if you can get the credit back and you only bought it 3 days ago.. why not do it?

Upvote 0
.. but this is why I started the thread... for people like this. If you're nice and get someone from Verizon that'll try to help you, you can get $180 credit back to your account. Sure, it's worth $200... but if you can get the credit back and you only bought it 3 days ago.. why not do it?

I got ya, and sure he can try...but it seems like Verizon already did him a solid by letting him have the phone for $200 when he was not eligible. If he can get a credit on top of that cool...if not...seems to me like it's not a "bad deal" he's got.

Upvote 0
wwoooooooowwww! I just spent the 299 at a Verizon retail center. I got the 100 MIR with it so I'm getting the phone for 200. Im lucky enough to have my company pay for my phone...but still!

So I called verizon and asked them what the hell! They told me that the droids sold through wal-mart do not carry a manufacturers warranty...that if ur phone dies after 30 days, even through not fault of your own, u are SOL.

Is this true?

Upvote 0
I got mine for 199.99, along with a free Droid ERIS. My mom wanted the ERIS and since she was saving $100 for her ERIS, she paid 100 and I paid 100 for my Droid. Worked out pretty well for me, I definitely think it is worth more than $100, and I understand that prices change frequently for new products :)

Upvote 0
Wirefly and Walmart (online, NOT in store) were the cheapest I found.

my location is selling them for 99.99 after the $100 mail in rebate, and we are doing buy one get one free (for a limtied time)

i don't suggest walmart, honest to god everyday someone comes up to me telling me their phone doesn't work and after trying to fix it for twenty minutes i ask where did they get it and either they say ebay or walmart

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones