1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Did you find superbowl ad lame?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by inphoenix, Feb 6, 2011.

1. inphoenix

inphoenix Well-Known Member

Is it just me or the Xoom superbowl ad was lame?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. knappkd

knappkd Well-Known Member

Agreed.

3. WormDoes

WormDoes Android Expert

Yea, I was really disappointed with it. It didn't make me want to run out and buy one like the first "Droid Does" commercial did. If I had no idea what the XOOM was prior to that commercial, I still wouldn't after.

4. icyfire

icyfire Newbie

So basically the ad said that for every 100 iPad users there will be 1 Xoom user. That's sure to inspire confidence. Also apparently all Apple users are sad zombies who were apparently forced to use their device. Nope, free market had nothing to do with it.

5. mched

mched Well-Known Member

+1...expected more!!!!!

6. StreakTheQuad

StreakTheQuad Well-Known Member

At $800 starting point, it might end up being true

7. Teegunn

Teegunn Android Expert

I don't see the ad effectively swaying people from ipad to xoom. Seems you either are or aren't an icrap groupie anyway - this ad tried to depict apple people as boring followers. Strangely, that is just the oppositie that most apple fans think they are. People like to go with what they are told is "hip" and 'In". Until android can find a way of changing the momentum that apple products have with the supposed "hip and in" crowd it will be an uphill battle. Of course overall Android does very well taking about as much market share as apple, difference beinng there are many choices of android products for each category instead of one choice for apple in each category. A fact very little mentioned by those spouting numbers while declaring apple king and queen of the universe.

8. reiththestud

reiththestud Android Enthusiast

I think it's biggest detriment is that it failed to show what it could do, or more importantly, what made it "different". I may be annoyed with hearing that stupid piano music on the iPad commercial, but at the end of it I've got a good idea of what the device can do. It also gives me ideas of what I could do with the device that could change every day activities. The Xoom ad did nothing in regards to showing me its functionality. Except for page turning, ooooooh fancy.

9. Don S

Don S Android Enthusiast

Fail. It needed to show all the great things, cool things, fun things you can DO with the XOOM, and thing the XOOM can do better than the iPAD, etc. While they showed a few things for a second or 2, those bits were lost in an obtuse reference that 90% of the general public won't relate to anyway.

Motorola should have left the marketing to Verizon.

10. luxetical

luxetical Well-Known Member

I agree.
    It was kind of lame. The Droid Does commercials made me want one.
    This commercial just made my Mom say "is that the iPad?"

11. TheBlackPrince

TheBlackPrince Well-Known Member

Very lame indeed. Coupled with the supposed price point, why exactly should we be buying this over an iPad? I know that the specs are available but Motorola needs to sell it to non-Android users. You know, those people who are buying the iPad in waves.

A better commercial would've been to copy the new iPhone 4 commercial (the two phones doing the same thing on two different networks), only show the XOOM doing something and then the iPad can't duplicate the functionality. THAT would've been a good ad to run, not this cryptic crap.

12. EKG

EKG Android Enthusiast

I actually enjoyed the ad. I loved seeing the Xoom on TV, and my friends, who know nothing about the Xoom, were all asking about it after. Seemed effective to me!

13. brinky

brinky Well-Known Member

I thought it was an awful ad. It did nothing to show how the xoom is better then an ipad.

I also found it ironic that all those folks in the half-time show were dressed in white. Like being part of the herd is cool.

14. Taylored

Taylored Android Enthusiast

So if you are a life long 50+yr old geek--you might get a kick out of this commercial,
    but chances are you already own an android tablet.

I think it is a good idea to jab at Apple. Also fine to even incorporate 5 seconds to make fun of the 1984 commercial for the very few who will get it, but spend the other 55 seconds selling your product!

This is precisely the kind of ad I would expect from Apple... so maybe it will work.

15. Homan13PSU

Homan13PSU Android Enthusiast

Good commercial, however very few people alive today "get it".

16. melantus

melantus Well-Known Member

I hated it.. I don't like ads that tell people they are sheep/dumb if they buy X product. I personally think they should have simply showcased what's great about the Xoom, and tell people where they can get more information. Bashing iPads doesn't make your product look great, and who knows maybe if you showed what your tablet can do, you could get some those people to sell there ipads and buy xooms.

17. frenzy757

frenzy757 Well-Known Member

I'll take the Girl

18. howarmat

howarmat Android Expert

i guess the one good thing is over 100 million people have seen the xoom, good or bad its exposure :/

19. Taylored

Taylored Android Enthusiast

I asked my brother(Droid owner) if he saw the ad for the new MOTO Xoom last night. He said, "what is that?" I said, "the commercial with all of the white hooded people"
    "Oh...."

So... a worthless commercial of you ask me.

20. Android_LIFE

Android_LIFE Android Enthusiast

I was expecting a straight to the point commercial where Motorola showcased and flaunted many of the Xoom's features etc. That would have excited me even further.
    That or a racy Sci-Fi-ish ad,
    like the Droid campaigned commercials.
    I did understand where Moto was coming from with their "1984" commercial,
    mocking Apple's same tactics they used back in their 1984 commercial towards Microsoft.

Commercial was ok, but really wasn't fit for a Super Bowl slot.
    The "1984" commercial should have aired a week prior to Super Bowl Sunday...as a tease...
    Then drop a BOMB on the world by airing a cleverly choreographed feature rich commercial during the S.B.
    Show the Moto Tablet & the sexy New OS and its tiggle bitties!