1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

difference between a widget and an app

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JohnB47, Dec 30, 2012.

1. JohnB47

JohnB47 Well-Known Member

Just as the title says - what's the difference? Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Szadzik

Szadzik Extreme Android User

An app needs to be opened to use it. Widget can be placed on the homescreen.

There are apps that also incorporate a widget. All widgets are apps. Not all apps have widgets.

3. JohnB47

JohnB47 Well-Known Member

Thanks. Just discovered lots of widgets on my tab. Must have a play. Presumably they only become operative once you put them on the home screen?

4. Shave

Shave Member

Indeed they do I think. Take the Assistive Light or a Torch App for example. In the App for it you'd hit a button to turn on the light. However if it has a Widget and you put the widget On your home screen then hit it, you'll bypass the opening the app part and it'll turn the light straight on. Then hit it again to turn it off. Very handy. Once you've experimented, you'll wonder by without how you ever got them.

5. Benjie

Benjie Android Enthusiast

Something akin to instant gratification.

6. 13ilgal

13ilgal Well-Known Member

My favorite widget is the one for my email. I can keep an eye on work without having to switch windows on my PC, log in, etc.

I also have two home screens dedicated to the calendar widget - one for month view, and one for the day view, set to the current date. Instant gratification is right!