• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

difference between generation 1 and 2 of nexus 7

There are a few notable difference between them. The first is that the Gen1 only has a 720p screen while Gen2 has a 1080p screen. Another big difference is that comparing the mobile data versions, the Gen1 is only compatible with 2G/HSPA while the Gen2 adds LTE support.

I checked at the walmart store in my town and there is a 100 dollar difference. I am only buying the wifi. not the mobile data versions.

Upvote 0
I'm still using the 2012 model. I don't think the improvement in the screen is that great since I find 720p is near retina quality on a 7" device (owners of younger eyes may differ!).

However, my 8GB 2012 Nexus 7 is noticably slower than the 2013 model. The 16GB and 32GB models are a bit faster than the 8GB, but even so I think you'll still notice the difference. Also it's annoying that I can't connect my N7 to the TV so I can play movies to entertain the children. The 2013 N7 can be connected with a Slimport adapter and it supports Miracast.

I don't think the 2013 model is a big enough step forward to be worth upgrading. However if I didn't already own an N7 I would buy the 2013 model not the 2012 model.

Upvote 0
I actually don't own one yet. Buying it tomorrow. But i see the price difference in the 2012 and 2013 is a 100 dollar difference. Money isnt an issue I was just wondering if its really worth to get the 2013 or get the 2012, but from the looks of it and the research I noticed that its best to go for the newest model.

Upvote 0
There is a huge difference in performance between the two devices.

The Nexus 7 2012 was great when it was released but it's last generation hardware and it shows when navigating through Android or when trying to play any recent games, lag is definitely a word I would associate with the Nexus 7 2012 compared to newer devices.

The Nexus 7 2013 on other hard is butter smooth thanks to faster hardware and more memory, it will handle current and most future games/apps without breaking a sweat.

It also features a 5MP camera, stereo speakers and a very high quality full hd display for the price, it features a slimmer and narrower design so it fits in your hand much easier than the original.

Upvote 0
At this point, I would go with the 2013 version unless the 2012 can be found for a killer deal. OTH, just in case you're put off by reports of the 2012 being laggy? Not necessarily the case. The older models OS has been upgraded several times and many (most?) owners have done in-place upgrades, that is they didn't do a full reset after the upgrade. That reset can make a huge difference in perceived speed. After upgrading to 4.4, my 2012 was horribly laggy until I did a hard reset, after which it was buttery smooth again. Still, the 2012 is now old enough that time has passed it by and the 2013 is certainly more future proof in both speed and features.

Upvote 0
Hi, pastafarian -
I'm new to the forums, here.
I also have a 2012 N7, and I like it very much. But mine has also been acting wonky in the wake of the 4.4 push.
Not to appear dense or a complete Luddite, but can you please tell me how to go about doing the hard reset you recommend?
Thanks very much -

CyclingBear

P.S. Luv your avatar!

Upvote 0
Welcome. Just make sure you're sync'd with the Google mother ship first. There are several programs that have their own back up options that you might want to consider and there are some general back up apps available, but the most effective are root only. Backing up is not essential anymore as Google takes care of a lot. Then, Settings > Backup & reset > Factory reset. Once done, you will be able to set up the device with your Google account and wifi settings, then most of your apps and settings should be restored automatically.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones