• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Difference between screen lock and sleep mode

there is a option in settings > applications > development > stay awake, but i think the screen stays on as well. maybe if you press the lock button with this option selected the screen will turn off, but i don't know cause to be honest i have never used this setting. why may i ask do you want to do this? it's for development, as it implies, and it will drain down your battery fast.

Upvote 0
Troubleshooting the corrupted SD card issue. Iin doing some testing yesterday I found that when I unlocked the screen with the side button the screen came on and the "preparing your SD card" notification came on, and then corrupted card message. So I was wondering if in "sleep" mode it turns off access to the SD card, then on "wake" it reconnects. This can cause the corruption of the card as I believe I have narrowed down this issue to when the card mounts/unmounts, and if something like that is happening in sleep mode, then I would definitely want to avoid it. I do have the "Stay Awake" while charging option selected. I'm still curious if stay away and the screen lock are two distinct things.

Upvote 0
Troubleshooting the corrupted SD card issue. Iin doing some testing yesterday I found that when I unlocked the screen with the side button the screen came on and the "preparing your SD card" notification came on, and then corrupted card message. So I was wondering if in "sleep" mode it turns off access to the SD card, then on "wake" it reconnects. This can cause the corruption of the card as I believe I have narrowed down this issue to when the card mounts/unmounts, and if something like that is happening in sleep mode, then I would definitely want to avoid it. I do have the "Stay Awake" while charging option selected. I'm still curious if stay away and the screen lock are two distinct things.

I think its just a bad batch of cards. This wouldn't be the first time I've heard of bad micro SD cards, even from the big manufacturers. I've used my 3 year old Sandisk 8 GB since day one, and never had a problem.

Upvote 0
The thing is, the card that came with the phone works fine. The card I purchased separately does not. Trying to find out why and see if we can discover if there is more at work than just the cards (since they seem to work fine in another device) I think it is a combination of cards and the phone/OS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones