• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Differences between Hongkong, Chinese and European version of the milestone

hhomann

Lurker
Jun 8, 2010
Hey mates,

I am actually in Shanghai during an exchange semester. Coz I want to get rid of my f***ing HTC touch pro with windows mobile, I have been searching for months for something better - and I am quite sure, that the Milestone might be my device. As it is cheaper over here (roundabout 2700 RMB) than in europe, I am going to buy it here. Is there anything I should take care of? Will the chinese or the Hongkong version also work in europe? Is it possible to load the German Version of Android onto the device later?

What are the exact differences between those versions?

Thanks,

Hendirk

I bought mine in Shanghai and have for the most part loved every minute of it.

I basically assumed I would have to Root the phone and play around with the software to get full use of it in China.
Which has actually been alot of fun.:D

Things to know/worry about buying the phone in China.

-- Fully test the phone in the shop before you buy it.
Many of the phones you will get here are illegally imported from HK or from eastern europe. Meaning they will either be missing features (wifi / GPS) have hacked/modded Operating Systems.

-- Pay special attention to the language and input menus
When I bought my phone and switched it into English in the settings menu everything looked fine, until I noticed that the calendar and various system notifications were in Chinese. (Meaning I had the Hacked Version)

-- Application Market
China is considered a non-authorized zone by Motorola and so you will not have access to the same market that people in the US or Europe have.

1. Its is all in chinese

2. Features about 5% of the available apps

3. Most apps that people get in Europe/US for Free magically become paid for apps

Note: If During your in-store testing of the phone you notice that you have full access to the regular App market the phone has definitly been modded with a hacked OS.
While this gives you access to most of the free apps available elsewhere but there are language/input problems and a number of stability issues.

To answer your questions:

- Will it work in Germany?
In general, yes. The hardware is capable of operating with German Providers, but it depends on which version of OS is installed on the Phone.
The OS is customized for each region/provider who have their own standards.

Check this link to see which bands are used in each region.
motorola_milestone:sbf [And Developers]

From the looks of it you would have to root your phone and install the Central Europe OS to make it work with German Providers if you buy it in Mainland CHina, but would not if you buy/use it in HK.

Rooting isnt that tough, theres a host of How to guides (http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-milestone/75460-milestone-2-1-update-root-guide.html) on this forum to assist you.

However if its got the Hacked/modded OS then who knows.
If your chinese is good enough you could browse the Chinese forum where the Hacked China OS came from (http://www.hiapk.com/bbs/

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply! Those are lots of interesting informations. I will be in Hongkong in a few weeks, do you think it is better to buy it over there? How can I check WIFI and GPS, I guess that there won't be a WIFI signal in the Shop and without a SIM-Card it should be difficult to receive GPS signals. Or am I wrong?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones