• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Different notification sounds for different contacts?

Redeyes322

Aug 1, 2010
I know that you can change a specific contact so that a specific ringtone will go off but is there any app out there that will allow me to have different notification sounds go off for different people? For example, I want a different notification sound to go off when my mom texts me, my girlfriend texts me, and when my dad texts me. I don't want to try handcent or anything like that. I prefer my basic, standard stock messaging app.

Any help would be highly appreciative.

Thanks.

LightFlow free edition will do what you want.

You can set a unique alert tone for SMS, MMS, calls, gmail and whatsapp tied to a specific contact. You can even set unique notification light colors for each contact depending on your hardware.

Further, you can set how often you get an reminder notification alert or vibration for the contact. As well as how fast the light will blink.

Very useful to know who is contacting you from across the room just by hearing or looking at your phone.

It also works with a number of apps. If you like the free version (it is fully functioning and not a timed trial), consider the paid version so you can use the app with a wider variety of app alerts.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...owlite&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

Upvote 0
Maybe I'm just getting old but my brain doesn't think like that so I'd be hard pressed to remember which tone I'd set for which contact .......

<Grumpy old man mode off>

Dave

I think one thing most people can remember is who likes what type of music. For example, my X-Husband loves Pink Floyd so any type of Pink Floyd sound byte will let me know it's him. My daughter loves You're So Vain by Carly Simon so that would be her sound, my son loves Jackie Blue by Ozark Mountain Daredevils so that would be his sound etc. etc. etc..

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Same for me. I honestly don't know half my notification alerts, since I keep them to 1-2 seconds. So, I am not too annoyed when I get a text. traffic alert or email.

But with ringtones, it is all based on the person or group....
Work people: It's my life by No Doubt
My daughter: her favorite TV show's them song
Friends: the theme song to the TV show Cheers
Friends who drink: Hangover by Taio Cruz
my idiot friend: a good old fashion dialtone
ex-wife: theme song to the Exorcist (aka Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield)

Upvote 0
I think one thing most people can remember is who likes what type of music. For example, my X-Husband loves Pink Floyd so any type of Pink Floyd sound byte will let me know it's him. My daughter loves You're So Vain by Carly Simon so that would be her sound, my son loves Jackie Blue by Ozark Mountain Daredevils so that would be his sound etc. etc. etc..

Your family has good taste in music.

Upvote 0
I know that you can change a specific contact so that a specific ringtone will go off but is there any app out there that will allow me to have different notification sounds go off for different people? For example, I want a different notification sound to go off when my mom texts me, my girlfriend texts me, and when my dad texts me. I don't want to try handcent or anything like that. I prefer my basic, standard stock messaging app.

Any help would be highly appreciative.

Thanks.

I'm not sure if Samsung has their own version of "Contacts", or if its running the native Android version, but I can select a contact, hit menu, edit, and select a message alert (in addition to selecting a ringtone).

I dont think this functionality was there when I had Android 4.1.1 installed, it may have shown up with the 4.1.2 upgrade.

Not sure if your Evo can do it, but its worth a look.

Upvote 0

I made my mom sound off 'Imperial March' lol.

Upvote 0
Your family has good taste in music.

Thanks! :)

Both of my kids are still teens, but they do listen to the oldies from time to time. Especially my daughter who can be found listening to the oldies rock station most of the time. A love of music is something positive I've managed to hand down to them.

If anyone has a ringtone for me when I call, I would hope it would be anything by Bad Company, Kansas (Carry On My Wayward Son), or Keith Urban!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thanks! :)

Both of my kids are still teens, but they do listen to the oldies from time to time. Especially my daughter who can be found listening to the oldies rock station most of the time. A love of music is something positive I've managed to hand down to them.

If anyone has a ringtone for me when I call, I would hope it would be anything by Bad Company, Kansas (Carry On My Wayward Son), or Keith Urban!

I hope someday ringtones happen in reverse... like YOU set the ringtone you want people to hear when you ring them :)

Upvote 0
Nah mate i mean like set a tone for when people who arent in my contacts ring me :beer:

Yup. The app is called Blacklist and it doesn't let them make a sound on my phone. Which is exactly the ringtone they deserve.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.baole.app.blacklist

Perfect ringtone.. Who Are You by The Who. /nods

If every single person on your contact list has a specific ringtone, then you can set the default ringtone for those people who aren't on your list. That would work, yeah?

I agree with Barry (that's what imma call you, mkay?) in that blacklisted people don't deserve a sound. ;)

Upvote 0
... my idiot friend: a good old fashion dialtone ...

Dunno what that says about me then as my standard ringtone is a good old fashioned telephone ringing! (I nassume that's what you mean by dialtone??). And to be honest that's how I know it's MY phone ringing in a crowded room - it sounds like a telephone and not like someone has turned the radio on ... :p

Perfect ringtone.. Who Are You by The Who. /nods

Now that I like. :D (The tune and the idea!).

Dave

Upvote 0
For blacklisting there's no need to use an app just to avoid hearing it ring. You can just use a silent ringtone...just a blank audio file. Set a contact for blacklisting numbers and add every number you want to blacklist to that one contact.

However, then you still get missed call notifications and voice mail. I installed this small (190KB) blacklist app a week ago:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vladlee.easyblacklist
...and I completely forgot about it until I was writing this post. I guess I haven't gotten a blacklisted call in the past week, or its logging doesn't work but its blacklisting does.

Nah mate i mean like set a tone for when people who arent in my contacts ring me :beer:

The response you got to this was to use a blacklisting app, but that's different. I know what you're asking for. I thought I had that set up before but now I can't remember how.

Ideally, there could be this setup:

1. Individual contacts with specified ringtones, obviously. This tells you exactly who is calling.

2. A default ringtone for all defined contacts. This tells you that somebody you know, but who is not special, is calling.

3. A default ringtone for numbers NOT in your contact list that have caller ID info. This tells you that somebody you probably don't know is calling but they're probably not a telemarketer.

4. A default ringtone for numbers NOT in your contact list that do NOT have caller ID info. This tells you that you probably don't want to answer unless you're waiting for a call from an undefined number or you're bored.

5. And, of course, a blacklist for those ones you are sure that you never want to answer.

I hope someday ringtones happen in reverse... like YOU set the ringtone you want people to hear when you ring them :)
That would be awful, unless it was an opt-in system.

Hmm...actually, I suspect that one could create an app to do exactly that. Worst-case scenario, it could use VoIP like so many apps that let you make VoIP calls that don't cross over to the traditional telephone network.

Upvote 0
Dunno what that says about me then as my standard ringtone is a good old fashioned telephone ringing! (I nassume that's what you mean by dialtone??). And to be honest that's how I know it's MY phone ringing in a crowded room - it sounds like a telephone and not like someone has turned the radio on ... :p

Me too. I actually have a few telephone sounds. One is a truly old-fashioned classic Bell telephone. Another sounds like a cordless landline phone from the 1980s. Another sounds like a common office desk phone. Not only does an actual phone ringing sound mean it's my phone and not someone else's or a radio, but it also cuts through noise better...if it's playing a cute tune I won't hear it above road noise or the air conditioner or my radio, but actual ringing I'm more likely to hear.

I also removed much of the silence from the end of the file, so it repeats sooner. Instead of "BRRRRING................BRRRRING................BRRRRING................" it goes "BRRRRING. BRRRRING.BRRRRING. BRRRRING. BRRRRING.". If I'm not sure it's ringing and I start paying stronger attention to listening for it, it's annoying (and a waste of time, I might miss the call) to sit around waiting for the silence between rings.

I also cranked up the volume in the file using an audio editor until it started to clip, to make sure I get maximum volume.

With all that effort, sometimes I actually manage to answer my calls! :D

Upvote 0

Now that I like. :D (The tune and the idea!).

Dave

Dialtone is that humming/buzzing sound you would get on a landline when you picked up the receiver before you dial.

On the street the euphemism is (the first of the three definitions):
Urban Dictionary: dialtone

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones