1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support Different notification sounds for different email accounts?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ecaggiani, Oct 16, 2009.

1. ecaggiani

ecaggiani Well-Known Member

I've searched the forums but can't seem to find anything relevant...basically I want to set a different notification sound to each of my different email accounts that I have setup in the mail app (not the gmail one, but the one where you add IMAP accounts)

I don't think it's possible since it seems like it should be a function of the mail app and not the system...but there's no place in the mail app to set a sound (that I can find).

Any ideas? Or are there any decent email clients that can replace the stock one on the Hero?

Advertisement

2. ecaggiani

ecaggiani Well-Known Member

Answering my own question here...

I found K-9 Mail Alpha, an email client app which DOES alow a different notification for each email account configured :D

I simply installed this app, added my accounts, and removed them from the stock mail app. Now I have different sounds for each account.

Here's the thing, though...

I have my default Gmail account for the phone, which uses the Gmail app. Nice app which allows setting a sound for the notification...but only works with the ONE Gmail account.

My work email is Exchange, so I configured it using the stock mail app. This app supports multiple accounts, but only the basic notification sound for all configured accounts. So I only have this app checking for my work email.

Then I have K-9 for the rest of my accounts since this app supports multiple accounts and multiple notifications.

That's THREE SEPARATE email clients...almost one for each account! I mean, that's fine with me for now since it's doing what I want...but seems like a bit of overkill.

I'll see if K-9 does Exchange, then I can go back to 2 email apps.

See, this is why I like Android...lots of choices and flexibility...a tinkerer's delight! :D

UPDATE: K-9 does Exchange! So now I have all my accounts (minus my main Gmail) in one email app! I still need to keep the old app setup with my Exchange info just to sync my work calendar, but I simply unchecked syncing of email. Now I just wish K-9 had a slightly better look :)

UPDATE #2: So...no go. K-9's support of Exchange is fairly weak and unreliable at the moment. Back to 3 clients.

UPDATE #3: Just wanted to say that I now use Touchdown Exchange, a very robust Exchange client, to sync my work email/calendar/tasks. I still have 3 email clients, but it's working great for me since I only open an email when I get a notification that I have an email, and I do it from the notification itself, so I never have to launch a specific client to check for mail. So the steps would be the same...get a notification, click on it to read new message, close it when done. Check next notification, etc.

Tags: