• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

different OS compatabilitie with External HDD

Spec-Kie

Jan 17, 2013
North East UK.
hey guys just a quick 1.

i have a friend who has asked me to make him some tutorials on certain topics so i have made a few videos for him he has give me a exterenal hdd .. thimg is i use ubuntu and he uses mac. also will it be ok to put movies and picture on this.. will it be cross compatblible thank you for any help in advance.

hey guys just a quick 1.

i have a friend who has asked me to make him some tutorials on certain topics so i have made a few videos for him he has give me a exterenal hdd .. thimg is i use ubuntu and he uses mac. also will it be ok to put movies and picture on this.. will it be cross compatible thank you for any help in advance.

What's the format on the HD now? Usually, portable hard drives come formatted as FAT32, while not the best file system, can be read by pretty much everything. If it's been formatted by you as Ext3 or possibly NTFS, a Mac will be able to read it, but not write to it without a specific utility.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones