1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Different Phone states (mode)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dj_Android, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Dj_Android

Dj_Android Member

So as i was experimenting with the phone i discovered 2 modes the phone can boot in:

1. Hold volume down and power (Phone must be off first): FTM Mode

2. Hold Volume UP and Volume down, Plug in USB Charger (Phone must be off): Download mode???

The second one is a mystery.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. alfick3

alfick3 Android Expert

Both are a mystery to me. What is FTM mode? Download mode almost sounds like it could be a method to update the os from a ZTE update. That is very similar to how the old LG Optimus M could be reset if bricked.

3. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Field test mode - essentially, booting into the bootloader in fastboot mode, usually.

twogbsd and alfick3 like this.
  4. Dj_Android

Dj_Android Member

I've tried many ways into booting into bootloader such as adb and manualy, but I am unsuccesfull

5. Sepero

Sepero Linux Guru

On LG Motion 4G, Download mode is what we use to USB connect to a pc and factory restore the /system. (revert back to stock from a rooted phone)

6. ZeroGeined

ZeroGeined Well-Known Member

Just to let everybody know what I've found:

Holding Vol down + power goes to FTM mode

Holding Vol up + power goes to Android Recovery

Holding Vol up + Vol down with power goes to a third mode where the screen stays black and the status LED stays on red. According to my computer, this is DFU mode. I have no clue what this is for, but with a little more googling, I'll update on that.

7. sammyz

sammyz LG Whiz Kid

Just letting you all know, just about every phone has these modes nowadays. ;)

8. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

True but they vary a lot by make. ;)

9. sammyz

sammyz LG Whiz Kid

Vary by model :p

10. ZeroGeined

ZeroGeined Well-Known Member

Just to update if anyone looks to this as a reference, DFU mode is Device Firmware Update. Its used for when the recovery mode doesn't work.

ZTE Avid 4G Forum

The ZTE Avid 4G release date was December 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, processor, and 1730mAh battery.

December 2012
Release Date
Reviews