• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Difficulties after a hard reset

I had to do a hard reset as the phone went into reboot hell. I finally got it done after about 50 reboots. Am/was running gingerbread. Now I have three problems:

1) I keep getting messages about something failing motorola.something.com I think with force close as the only option. It must have happened at least 50 times today (every coupla minutes), but of course now, it won't happen. Whatever it is doesn't seem to have any effect, except pissing me off.

2) I can't find the setting or whatever that tells the screen not to blank when it's charging. I looked on my tablet (running froyo), which does not blank when it's attached to power and I can't find it there either.

3) I also can't find the option to have different ringtones for different contacts. This is making me crazy

Suggestions welcome
Z.

Hello Zenith49.

Sometimes on older devices the factory data reset will have elements foreign to the system if the device has either received an OTA or two in its career, or if it's been rooted and then brought back to stock via flashing RUU.

If such is the case, reliable functionality may only be possible with a good root procedure and a nice custom ROM.

There are rooting instructions listed here:

http://androidforums.com/atrix-4g-all-things-root/453902-atrix-4g-all-things-root-guide.html

along with three ROMs listed (there are more out there, of course).

If rooting the phone is not your cup of tea, perhaps several repeats of the factory data reset will wash out the issues.

[EDIT] I forgot to mention something that is very simple but can help with these and many other issues.. if you have a SIM card in place, shut down then remove the battery and SIM card.. wait a minute, then boot up and test for issues. I'd even go so far as to replace the SIM card in some cases.. but... lets see how you do. ;)

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply, Frisco.

I did finally find the solution to problem #3 and I got the name of the prog that keeps failing com.motorola.service.main. Sounds bad, but doesn't seem to cause any real problems. It now seems to fail in spurts.

I would love to root this phone, but I'm a big chicken. I have a galaxy tab wifi as well and I think I should try rooting that one first as the world would not come to and end if I screwed it up.

Have you done yours? If so, what would you recommend?

Thanks again.
Z.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones