1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

difficulties flashing ROMs other than venom

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by buMitch333, Sep 28, 2014.

1. buMitch333

buMitch333 Member

So I've been trying to use the Sunshine utility to gain S-OFF as I have not been able to get Firewater to work. This is my second M8 and my first I was able to get S-OFF and install pretty much any ROM I wanted. If I remember, I successfully used Firewater with and nV M8 ROM but I cannot get nV to flash properly now. I just tried flashing a basic stock rooted ROM and got stuck at the HTC logo on boot. I guess what I'm asking if anyone knows what could be causing this issue as I'm tired of Venom and definitely want S-OFF as well.

Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

I think your issue is that without s-off the kernel isn't flashing when you flash your rom. You need to flash your rom then use fastboot to flash the boot.img

So put a copy of the rom on your pc. Extract boot.img from the rom.zip and put it in your fastboot directory.

Use the command: fastboot flash boot boot.img

Your rom should boot up after that.

buMitch333, dan55 and KOLIO like this.
  3. buMitch333

buMitch333 Member

Great idea, reminds me of evo LTE days! Will give it a try! Much appreciated.

4. buMitch333

buMitch333 Member

Well this didn't seem to be the issue as I still am not able to flash any other roms even after flashing the kernel... any other ideas??

5. buMitch333

buMitch333 Member

OK so I think it may be an issue with firmware. I am currently on Android 4.4.2 running ViperOneM8 1.8.0. Any tips on upgrading? I was reading to flash a stock rom, accept an OTA, then move on to newer roms. Is this correct?

6. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

hi,
    only info i know is that if you are going for a newer rom than 1.8 you need to flash the firmware first - can be done with s-on but is a bit more tricky than s-off so i hear

HTC One M8 Forum

The HTC One M8 release date was March 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 4MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2600mAh battery.

March 2014
Release Date
Reviews