1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Difficulties with Wifi Tethering

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Daniol, May 30, 2011.

1. Daniol

Daniol Member
    None

Jan 26, 2011
    Male
    I have been unable to connect my computer to my phone using wireless tether apps, regardless of the app that I am using. My ascend is running CM6, and I freakin love it. Working on getting it exactly the way I want it, and wifi tethering, while probly pretty slow on metro 1x, would be amazing to have when I cant get wifi.

I have tried Barnacle, Wifi tether for Root Users, and A Wifi tether AP Mesh Client (thats the name of the app).

They all seem to react the same. Once Tethering is started, my computer sees the network (which looks like a peer to peer connection rather than a regular wifi connection). It then asks me to enter my WEP. I enter the wep, and the computer seems to try and connect for some time, but never actually connects.

I have gotten the following results with each app

Wifi Tether for Root Users - my computer attempts to connect after entering the wep i assigned for my droid. I stop tethering, and afterwards my droids wifi cannot be re-enabled. On top of this, after attempting trying to connect my laptop to my phones wireless tether I cannot seem to reconnect my laptop to my verizon router. I have to restart my router, uninstall wifi tether for root users, and reboot my phone in order to re enable wifi on my ascend. My Laptop requires a restart after the router has been reset for wifi to function normally as well

Barnacle - Start tethering, computer attempts to connect. After hitting associate, the barnacle app reads "failed to reassociate". Uninstalled the app. After uninstalling, the Wifi on both my laptop and android function normally.

AP mesh app - Same as above, except offers no information regarding association.

Any suggestions as to what it could be? I have a metro ascend if that makes any difference. Thanks for any info, and thanks for all those that have helped me thus far.

Advertisement

2. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    You mentioned tethering a WI-FI signal to your computer(laptop,I assume?).Can't your computer pick up the WI-FI signal on its own?
    Also,you mention the METRO 1X signal tethering.I'm w/CRICKET & once I've reached my 1GB/MO. @ 3G speed cap,I get throttled,which makes tethering useless for all practical purposes.I'm guessing this is the equivalent to what METRO 1X is like.
    If their are any METRO PCS users who successfully tether,please share your experiences w/us here in this thread.

3. intrdrgn

intrdrgn Android Expert
    None

Jan 26, 2011
    Male
    Distribution
    Brandon, Florida
    i'm @ Metro, i tethered w/my daughters laptop. & it picked up rather quickly, but using it was a different story. too slow going through web site i often gave up on it. i have the Wireless Tether App on mine.

4. Tokenpoke

Tokenpoke Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Male
    Arborist (tree man)
    Miami, FL
    I have no issues using wifi tether for root users and used it quite a bit when i had cm6 but I didn't wep it.

If wifi keeps giving you trouble I would suggest getting easytether and trying a USB tether. Note:you need to install a small driver file to your pc provided via a link when you first start the app.

With metro tethering is painfully slow and really only useful for irc or low intensity sites (like Google). for instance Facebook takes five minutes to load my page.

5. Daniol

Daniol Member
    None

Jan 26, 2011
    Male
    Bummer. Alrighty. Guess it's not really worth the effort if it is THAT slow. wish they used 3g, o well. Thanks for the advice everyone