• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Digital copy movies with DRM

djkleric

Nov 1, 2009
So Cal
Question. Is it possible to watch digital copies of movies that we purchase on the hero? If so what app do we need? I have tried multiple things and it hasnt worked for me yet. Because of the DRM I cant change the file type from wmv to mp4 or any other type. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all your help

At present Android doesn't support any DRM that I am aware of. Linux itself is very limited in its support of DRM so it is likely that Android won't support any more than Linux does. There are converters available that will authorize the DRM stream and capture the output but they are illegal in the US and take a very long time to convert due to capturing a stream.

Upvote 0
Well, I have the digital copy of Star Trek on my droid. Not going to discuss it in open forum cause the ways of doing it are not really legal. I only did it cause i feel the restrictions placed on these files are unfair. Once i got a copy of the file working on the droid (which would also work on a hero btw) I did nothing illegal with it, just watched it on my phone. I just wish that the few people who do nothing but pirate hadn't ruined the trust of the entertainment companies for the rest of us who just want to watch or leagly purchased videos on our mobile devices.

Upvote 0
Well, I have the digital copy of Star Trek on my droid. Not going to discuss it in open forum cause the ways of doing it are not really legal. I only did it cause i feel the restrictions placed on these files are unfair. Once i got a copy of the file working on the droid (which would also work on a hero btw) I did nothing illegal with it, just watched it on my phone. I just wish that the few people who do nothing but pirate hadn't ruined the trust of the entertainment companies for the rest of us who just want to watch or leagly purchased videos on our mobile devices.

Yeah I was looking for a way to do that. Since I do Own the license to have a digital copy that shouldnt be a problem but it is unfortunately.

Upvote 0
Nobody has been sued for converting videos, there are many out there. Fair Use Doctrine shoudl certainly take precedence over Copyright... Copyright and the DMCA are on there way out, will probably be re-written soon but the INDUSTRY has big lobby in D.C., so will delay it as long as possible. As long as you own it and do not share it, you should be able to watch it on whatever device you own. Also, explaining the process to achieve such a feat is not illegal in itself, but encouraging others to do so and distribute it, defraud or steal copies they haven't purchased might well be.

So, you need a copy protection remover, or DVD Ripper and then format converter. There are some programs that do both, lolz...

You want to get real snazzy... set up a file share on your PC and keep the files there, then access them from your phone via WEB access and you won't even need them taking up memory on your phone! THAT is the way I have it set up. hahaha... I have access to 90+ Gigs of MP3's and approx, 100+ movies at any time :eek:

Enjoy!
:cool:

Upvote 0
Nobody has been sued for converting videos, there are many out there. Fair Use Doctrine shoudl certainly take precedence over Copyright... Copyright and the DMCA are on there way out, will probably be re-written soon but the INDUSTRY has big lobby in D.C., so will delay it as long as possible. As long as you own it and do not share it, you should be able to watch it on whatever device you own. Also, explaining the process to achieve such a feat is not illegal in itself, but encouraging others to do so and distribute it, defraud or steal copies they haven't purchased might well be.

So, you need a copy protection remover, or DVD Ripper and then format converter. There are some programs that do both, lolz...

You want to get real snazzy... set up a file share on your PC and keep the files there, then access them from your phone via WEB access and you won't even need them taking up memory on your phone! THAT is the way I have it set up. hahaha... I have access to 90+ Gigs of MP3's and approx, 100+ movies at any time :eek:

Enjoy!
Breaking DRM is a direct violation of the DMCA and while no-one has been prosecuted as of yet it is an illegal act regardless of the morality of said law. Whether or not you believe the laws are on their way out it may be best not to advise folks to break the law.

Upvote 0
Breaking DRM is a direct violation of the DMCA and while no-one has been prosecuted as of yet it is an illegal act regardless of the morality of said law.

Judges have dismissed many cases of supposed DRM cases brought frivolously by Industry against alleged violators. They have used heavy handed leverage against Grandma's and kids who can ill afford to assert their rights and have their day in court. If you have followed this issue closely you would know that the DRM thingy pretty much died when a group from Harvard Law challenged it in court. Suddenly the industry has shifted in its prosecutorial agenda and re-focused on other inventive ways to control the media they sell you, the equipment they sell you to play it on and new ways to rip you off and cry about it.

Whether or not you believe the laws are on their way out it may be best not to advise folks to break the law.
Congress has on its agenda revisiting Fair Use and Copyrights, but like I said, it keeps geeting BOGGED down in committee... hmmmm I guess because it's really not so important right now, lol. It is well known that our laws are lagging the digital age by approx. 10 years and they are trying to catch up. A long standing PRECEDENT is backing up or COPYING of media for archival and or transfer of media which has been considered fair use. You own an album? Geee, never made a cassette tape of it? Never made a mix? Hmmm... Wouldn't DJ's "ALL" be CRIMINALS then? Oh my, they even PROFIT off their work. You can copy it, if you own it, for your OWN USE! Show me where someone was prosecuted and convicted for that? you want another precedent... seeing that there is no readily available outlet to LEGALLY purchase said formats for playback on the device in the format native to it or accessible to it, you would then be FREE to do this in the absence of the industry providing it. In other words, you are free to exist in a vacuum. :)

Secondly, 1st amendment would argue with your statement... If I write a book about 10 ways to kill a person effortlessly am I complicit in any act carried out by a reader? Tisk... Nooooo, don't think so. Lol, I can tell you all the methods, they are not State Secrets. It is NOT illegal to disseminate information but maybe I should have included a disclaimer stating to KNOW any and all laws regarding any attempt prior to attempting any attempt at converting some videos and be sure your read the 2,000 pages of the DMCA so you know what is going on there too. :D

lol, lighten up a little, ok, hehehe...

Happy Trails!

Upvote 0
Just friendly advice. I am certainly not riled up about anything.

However, and out of order, your first amendment argument is not valid. You can write the book all you like but if you answer someone who asks you directly how to kill a person and get away with it then you are in violation of the law. On a message board if someone asks for information on how to break the law and you post in response with instructions you are culpable for their breaking of said whereas if you posted a blog entry with the same information you would most likely not be liable.

Secondly, and still out of order, I completely agree with your political stance on copyright. All code I release is OSS under the BSD license when I can and GPL otherwise, well and sometimes the beer license. It is total crap that there are restrictions on what we can do with something that we own. I consider myself a copyfighter and encourage others to do the same within the confines of the law. However I think you are wrong about the direction further government involvement will take. Have you seen ACTA lately? We are about to lose even more of the few rights we have less and the Berne Convention will be a thing of the past essentially eliminating fair use. The courts are not friendly to fair use defences right now and the majority we have in congress isn't either. Look at the voting records. You don't want congress to review anything right now if you want things to take a turn for the better. It would be better that any changes die in committee than it would be to have the current crop of congresscritters try to fix it.

Thirdly: The first amendment doesn't apply to message boards as they are not government entities and I am sure the folks running this place don't want to deal with the legal hassles of defending the posting of instructions on how to violate the DMCA. My suggestion was to be careful what you said and not that you shouldn't say it. Those are two different animals. I suggest care our of respect for the folks that run this joint for us and nothing more. I wouldn't want to see a thread go away or someone have the mods remove posts over something that could be easily avoided.

Lastly: My answer to the original problem is not re-purchase whatever DRMd media one has with DRM-free media. I have done that an have no DRM issues at all. Don't support DRM at all. There's nothing you can't live without that has DRM. So the solution is to support DRM free media and shun DRMd media.

Upvote 0

However, and out of order, your first amendment argument is not valid. You can write the book all you like but if you answer someone who asks you directly how to kill a person and get away with it then you are in violation of the law.

Wrong, and sorry, but every single shooting instructor, military drill instructor, video how to, self defense instructor, etc., would be culpable under your loose interpretation. There are perfectly LEGAL reasons for using DEADLY Force. So getting away with it is not a preconception but one rather left to the DA's and Jury Pool, lol... hahaha...

;)

Murder is different, but again, what I teach someone does not make me culpable for their actions. Come on... lolz... If I told them TO murder, well then, I agree with you. So, I didn't say TO do anything, only that it could be done.

On a message board if someone asks for information on how to break the law and you post in response with instructions you are culpable for their breaking of said whereas if you posted a blog entry with the same information you would most likely not be liable.

Same premise... and by the way, I didn't provide instructions, a vague description is more precise to what I said. But, if I tell them a device is on sale at Best Buy which can do what they are asking, I then am responsible for the device manufacturers legal liability when I have not committed the act myself? I think not.

Secondly, and still out of order, I completely agree with your political stance on copyright. All code I release is OSS under the BSD license when I can and GPL otherwise, well and sometimes the beer license. It is total crap that there are restrictions on what we can do with something that we own. I consider myself a copyfighter and encourage others to do the same within the confines of the law. However I think you are wrong about the direction further government involvement will take. Have you seen ACTA lately? We are about to lose even more of the few rights we have less and the Berne Convention will be a thing of the past essentially eliminating fair use. The courts are not friendly to fair use defences right now and the majority we have in congress isn't either. Look at the voting records. You don't want congress to review anything right now if you want things to take a turn for the better. It would be better that any changes die in committee than it would be to have the current crop of congresscritters try to fix it.

Maybe, maybe not, fact is that what is there is broken and everyone knows it! I haven't followed up recently but will do so, thanks :)

I like the Canadian model (maybe some one can help with this...) But I read that when CD/DVD burners came out there, they attached a usage TAX to the units when sold to provide revenue back to the industries which claimed to be injured by such devices in lost revenue from burning/copying... but that's just me. I think they cry a little too much wolf! I have plenty of scratched CD's (audio) and if I D/L them am I now in Violation of copyright laws? Hmmmm? interesting is it not? I would love the RIA to come after me for downloads I own in CD format, will they then claim to have propriety rights over the MP3 format as well? Actually I have done this many times, just because its easier sometimes then ripping the CD and usually includes the album art in the files. ;)

Thirdly: The first amendment doesn't apply to message boards as they are not government entities and I am sure the folks running this place don't want to deal with the legal hassles of defending the posting of instructions on how to violate the DMCA. My suggestion was to be careful what you said and not that you shouldn't say it. Those are two different animals. I suggest care our of respect for the folks that run this joint for us and nothing more. I wouldn't want to see a thread go away or someone have the mods remove posts over something that could be easily avoided.

Yes, I understand, all msg boards are self governed and I did not mean to apply the extension of 1st Amendment Rights here other than to imply not only do they apply to the Gov't but that the Gov't should not limit them with respect to the issue the digital age, there is many cases presently before Judges with respect to online speech and they are ruling differently all over the place. Anyway, with all respect for the Operators of this Forum and Moderators here I didn't give any instructions and am totally sensitive to this issue.

Lastly: My answer to the original problem is not re-purchase whatever DRMd media one has with DRM-free media. I have done that an have no DRM issues at all. Don't support DRM at all. There's nothing you can't live without that has DRM. So the solution is to support DRM free media and shun DRMd media.

Actually this is a good idea for purchasing "NEW" media. but what about old? As a matter of fact iTunes allows you to convert the DRM media (audio)as well, you can burn them to an audio CD, so its all perfectly legal in that respect. Why would it then be illegal to do it with a method provided elsewhere? Hmmm...

And like I said, being the Motion Picture Studios has NOT provided the files or media in the format which is utilized on the device, it would be perfectly legal to convert them (legally owned as in the OP post) for personal use, this precedent has been well established and argued since the BetaMax days, lol... ;)

It's all good and I love a great conversation, lol
:D

Happy Trails!
:cool: :cool: :cool:

Upvote 0
...snip...

Not going to bother with the pedantics. You know what I meant now quit being difficult :p

And like I said, being the Motion Picture Studios has NOT provided the files or media in the format which is utilized on the device, it would be perfectly legal to convert them (legally owned as in the OP post) for personal use, this precedent has been well established and argued since the BetaMax days, lol... ;)

It's all good and I love a great conversation, lol
:D

Happy Trails!
:cool: :cool: :cool:
This is the one place you are wrong. You were right, up until the DMCA was passed, once the DMCA was in place it became illegal to copy for personal use if you had to crack DRM to do it. There might not be any cases where anyone was prosecuted or even a judge that would uphold that provision but until it is tested it is illegal under the DMCA to break the copy protection for the purposes of copying for personal use. Courts have ruled that breaking DRM is legal to provide interoperability but they have not spoken on the issue of personal copying. It's total and complete crap but it's still the law. It's how they did an end run around fair use provisions for copying, the doctrine of first sale, and a couple other long held common law precedents and they did it on purpose. It's the same way they get around the 10th amendment using federal highway money to force states to do what they want. Like it or not breaking the DRM to copy a file you legally downloaded for use on another device is still illegal. The copying part isn't illegal. That's fair use and well accepted. It is the breaking the DRM part that's illegal and, again, it's crap that it is.

Upvote 0
And what sort of oppressive, tyrannical government are you residing under? I hope this isn't your horribly misguided interpretation of U.S. law...
Maybe I wasn't clear. If person X asks you the best way to kill person Y and you tell them you are an accessory to murder and person X murders person Y following your instructions you can be charged with accessory to murder, conspiracy to commit murder, at the very least. It works the same way as laws governing incitement to riot, incitement to violence, and so on. I did not mean a general conversation about killing people.

Upvote 0
Maybe I wasn't clear. If person X asks you the best way to kill person Y and you tell them you are an accessory to murder and person X murders person Y following your instructions you can be charged with accessory to murder, conspiracy to commit murder, at the very least. It works the same way as laws governing incitement to riot, incitement to violence, and so on. I did not mean a general conversation about killing people.

You are only an accessory if you knew the intent, or if you instructed with the intent of murder. Lol, sorry I used that analogy in my post. It is an extreme example.

But that said, I stated there are perfectly LEGAL means to apply deadly force. Not always does causing the loss of life constitute MURDER, nor does the instruction of applying deadly force to another person by whatever means, i.e., firearms, edged weapons, hand to hand combat... etc., otherwise the U.S. Gov't would be culpable and any library or surplus military distributor which sells Military manuals to the masses by your example.

I have been an instructor and can attest that I am certainly NOT culpable for your actions once you leave my control. I'm also not required to know or ask your intention with the knowledge I will provide you. All training is provided purely as information... the application of which is solely your responsibility.

I could go on but, alas, I've gotten way off topic and this should possibly be reserved for another thread or forum...

lol...
;)

Upvote 0
Android needs to establish some kind of iTunes equivalent where we can legitimately obtain video content.

Otherwise there is only alternative and that's ripping stuff - I suppose if you own the DVD and the copy is for your own purposes it's not quite the same as piracy, as there is no legal way to obtain a digital copy for an Android device.

Upvote 0

However, and out of order, your first amendment argument is not valid. You can write the book all you like but if you answer someone who asks you directly how to kill a person and get away with it then you are in violation of the law. On a message board if someone asks for information on how to break the law and you post in response with instructions you are culpable for their breaking of said whereas if you posted a blog entry with the same information you would most likely not be liable.

Jumping in here uber late but, this is just silly. By your thoughts, I can watch the show Dexter, watch how he get's away with killing countless people, do it myself and now Showtime is liable? Or how about magazines like High Time, which show people how to grow weed? Information is not a crime here in America, but maybe you're from North Korea?

Anyways, simple way to get rid of DRM is downloading a program called Daniusoft Media Converter Pro, gonna run ya $35, but will remove the DRM and convert to damn near any video format you could ever want.
Also, under fair use, you can do whatever you want to your files/media. Alot of companies try to word the EULA so that it sounds illegal to do so. The only time you'll have them knockin your door down is when you share these files with people who don't actually own them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones