1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Digitizer replacement

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Izwoz, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Izwoz

Izwoz Lurker
    None

Dec 14, 2012
    I have a replacement digitizer.

I have seen a guide on how to dismantle the dhd but not one on how to separate the digitizer from the lcd and then replace it with a new one.

How is it done? I can buy lcd and digitizer combined, i guess i should have.

Advertisement

2. Mehta23

Mehta23 Android Expert
    None

That's why I would have done.

I can't link it to you now but IIRC, the youtube disassembly video shows the person putting the screen in an oven.

3. Izwoz

Izwoz Lurker
    None

Dec 14, 2012
    Oh yes I have now seen heat used in separating the lcd from dig (not dhd but other models).

But not sure how to combine the lcd and dig. I wonder if heat is required for that or whether they are simply placed together?

4. BrutalUK

BrutalUK Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 25, 2011
    Male
    Gloucestershire
    I can tell you first hand its not as easy as the video makes out. I recently repaired my DHD after I broke the front glass!! Getting the front glass/digitizer off is fairly simple with a guitar pick and a hair drier. Only problem being is the ribbon that connects it to the LCD. Its easy to see where its connected once your DHD LCD chassis is removed from the motherboard etc but getting it out is another thing. You can't see it but its stuck to the chassis with some pretty sticky glue. If you just yank it out the ribbon will break and that's not the way to go about it. They say in the videos that you can just lever up the corner of the LCD screen to attach the new ribbon to the LCD connector.....again not easy. The LCD screen is really stuck into the chassis. You can get the complete chassis with new LCD and digitizer from eBay. Genuine ones cost

5. BrutalUK

BrutalUK Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 25, 2011
    Male
    Gloucestershire
    Oh in addition they do the LCD part only too, but I think its about the same cost so really a no brainer to buy it on its own.

If you need any advice etc just ask!