• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help DInc overseas

Joan006

May 27, 2010
I have read all I can about using the Inc overseas and am confused.
If the phone is switched to WiFi in a WiFi spot, can you use the phone? I have read that Verizon put some sort of restrictions on it, but I'm not savvy enough to understand it all.
My daughter is in the Coast Guard and we both have DInc's. She goes to places like StarBucks in other countries that offers WiFi and we would LOVE to be able to text each other with our phones. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

wifi will work anywhere but you can't make calls unless you roam on a CDMA network Verizon has a contract with. (don't do it, the rates are stupidly high.)

Verizon Skype is a special version and won't make calls over wifi but you can use Fring or some other alternative skype client.

You can also send SMS through Google Voice, although you can't make calls.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones